Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about MACS

I am using MACS to find peaks of chip seq data.
    I get a question about the P value.
    General MACS gets many peaks from a sample, much more than SISSRs. But not all the peaks are reliable. So I want to filter the peaks MACS found.
    In the command line there is an option -p followed by a p value. If it is set too strictly, e.g. 1e-50, there may be no peaks found, otherwise, e.g. 1e-10, there may be too many peaks.
    So I want to ask generally which P value is suitable, i.e., on which P value the peaks found are reliable?
    Thank you!

I would surggest you generate the tdf file of the coverage of genome, and load the tdf and peak lists of different p cutoff of MACS and SISSRs.
    And I think the shapes of the peaks of coverage will give you more clues.

Comment

Originally posted by ishmael View Post
      I would surggest you generate the tdf file of the coverage of genome, and load the tdf and peak lists of different p cutoff of MACS and SISSRs.
      And I think the shapes of the peaks of coverage will give you more clues.
      Thank you.
      I'm new in chip seq. And I don't quite understand what is "tdf file of the coverage of genome". Could you please tell me how to generate this file?

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain clearly. tdf is the coverage file format of IGV, a genome browser.
        I think you'd better to generate the coverage files of chip-seq, and load them into the browser. And than you may load the peak lists you got from different p-value cutoffs and different softwares. Your eyes will give you some clues which peak list is the better choice from the shape of the peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by ishmael View Post
          Sorry I didn't explain clearly. tdf is the coverage file format of IGV, a genome browser.
          I think you'd better to generate the coverage files of chip-seq, and load them into the browser. And than you may load the peak lists you got from different p-value cutoffs and different softwares. Your eyes will give you some clues which peak list is the better choice from the shape of the peaks.
          I see.
          But what I want is to have a general p value to ensure that I can indeed get some peaks which are reliable. Cause this is automatically done by my pipeline.
          According to your words I think there may be no such fixed p value, so I think I'd better make the p value as a parameter for users to determine.
          Thank you very much for your patient explaine!

Comment

The quality and nature of different chip are different, I think.
            So it is alway not bad to check the coverage manually.
            If you want a reliable peak list, think about IDR or MAnorm if the replicate samples are availble.

PS, check your private message box

Originally posted by gigigou View Post
            I see.
            But what I want is to have a general p value to ensure that I can indeed get some peaks which are reliable. Cause this is automatically done by my pipeline.
            According to your words I think there may be no such fixed p value, so I think I'd better make the p value as a parameter for users to determine.
            Thank you very much for your patient explaine!

Comment

Hi Everyone
              I am doing chip seq analysis using galaxy. I have paired end data and I am having trouble running MACS on my bam file -
              Looks like galaxy takes only eland multi format as input and I am not sure of the format -

Do you think converting my bam files to bed files (by creating a BEDPE format) would help? I do not have bed tools installed, I also would like to know if the BAM files need to be sorted before I convert them into BED files -
              I appreciate any help or suggestions.
              Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses