No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with Scripture.jar for RNA-seq

Hi all,

I'm trying to run Scripture.jar which I have downloaded from the Broad institute website: http://www.broadinstitute.org/softwa...ipture/?q=home
    I'm on a Mac and I have java 6 and 7 (I know that by checking /utilites/java preferences). For the sake of practice, I'm trying to run the walkthrough exercise in the tutorial for this software (http://www.broadinstitute.org/softwa...hrough_example)... in step 7 you need to run scripture with the sam file you have generated in the previous steps and afterwards downloading the mouse size file and the mouse chr19 sequence... this is the command line I'm using:
    >>java –jar scripture.jar –alignment all_alignments.sorted.sam –out chr19.scriptureESTest.segments –sizeFile mm9.sizes –chr chr19 –chrSequence chr19.fa
    However, I'm getting this response:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument alignment is mandatory
    Does anyone know what the problem is....
    I appreciate your support
    lj907

i think you need to download one of the beta versions. i had this same problem. after i got the beta version i made it a little further through the walkthrough only for it to crash with a null pointer exception near the end of the assembly process. so i'm stuck as well.

/* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
    Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Thanks sdriscoll. I have now shifted to using htseq-count followed by DESeq for differential expression. The Cufflinks path is probably better for novel transcript discovery than differential expression. Scripture was just another option which I explored to some extent, but never could get it to work, and there seems to be no support for it what so ever. The author shouldn't expect many citations.

Comment

i'd also recommend trying out eXpress or RSEM for quantification. it's a valid argument that "correct" gene level expression is dependent upon proper disambiguation of aligned reads in a genome with alternative splicing. both eXpress and RSEM rely on the EM algorithm. eXpress has been optimized so it works much quicker and you can even pipe alignments right into it from bowtie. both of those tools work by aligning to a transcriptome allowing all alignments with very little limitations from the aligner aside from mismatches in the seed of each read. the ability of these tools to determine if an alignment is correct or not have surpassed those in the aligner so they suggest allowing their software to determine alignment. also both of these tools can perform reliable isoform level expression meaning you can still do isoform level DE and look for changes in the relative levels of isoform expressions within loci across samples.

i've been testing eXpress today and i really like it. the output is very informative as well - more informative than the output of RSEM though the output of RSEM is a little cleaner and they organize the results into gene level expressions for you. with eXpress you have to sum expressions & counts by gene name after the fact. also RSEM performs the alignments for you while eXpress requires you do that yourself. anyway - they both have sites - check 'em out!
        /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
        Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
          by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
          05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
        • seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
        0 responses