I aligned RNA-Seq reads to the reference genome. However, reads that span splice junctions will not align. What is the best way to handle this? I've read that aligning to a reference transcriptome is not the answer. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
You might want to try TopHat/Bowtie.
Alternatively, you can download all mRNA sequences from UCSC and align against that.
Sam
-
So I used tophat 2 to align the data. I used multiple cores but ran it on the default settings.
I have tumor and normal samples (no replicates, single end).
My accepted_hits.bam for the normal samples is 479MB while the unmapped.bam file is 3.4 GB. I was wondering what I might be able to do about this? I am re-aligning the unaligned reads in BWA, but I'm not sure if this is the best approach. Any thoughts? There should not be so few mapped reads for this sample. The tumor samples had an unmapped.bam file of size 796 MB and an accepted_hits.bam file of size 479 MB. Although this is better, it still seems low.
The normals should actually be better than the tumors due to sample quality.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Comment
-
Did you quality trim before running the alignment? If not and a lot of your reads deteriorated in quality toward the end, that could be the issue. You might also try blasting a couple of the unmapped reads just to ensure there's nothing weird going on.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
16 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
39 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
30 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
50 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment