X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM server

Dear all,
    anyone experienced a IBM server?
    what about advantages or disadvantages compare to other brand?

As long as it does not fail it doesn't matter if its from IBM, Dell, HP or Fujitsu.

Also - more detail would help - what configuration are you talking about? The art of putting a server together is how you specify and configure it, not who you buy it from (although I will never buy another HP server ever again....)

Comment

server configuration

N. 1
      7164A2G IBM x3755 M3, 4xAMD Opteron 16C 6282SE
      140W 2.6GHz/16MB, 8x4GB, O/Bay HS 3.5in
      SATA/SAS, SR M5015, 2x1100W p/s, Rack
      N. 12
      49Y1397 8GB (1x8GB, 2Rx4, 1.35V) PC3L-10600 CL9
      ECC DDR3 1333MHz LP RDIMM
      N. 8
      81Y9758 IBM 3TB 3.5in 7.2K 6Gbps NL HS SAS HDD
      N. 1
      49Y7342 1100W Redundant Power Supply
      N. 1
      46M0902 IBM UltraSlim Enhanced SATA Multi-Burner
      N. 1
      39M2897 NetBAY 1.5m KVM Conversion Option pack

+ memory expansion
      IBM 8GB KIT PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM - 2 x 4GB DIMM

Comment

And what are you going to use it for? Are your applications memory intensive? Is disk I/O going to be critical? I'm not sure how much memory you have in there - 136GB? That looks like 2GB/core (assuming 16C = 16 core).

I rarely spec out a machine with less than 4GB/core - but it depends on what analysis you're planning to do.

No RAID?

Comment

exactly is 2GB/core. 4xAMD Opteron 16Core so in total 128 GB plus some extension of RAM..still fighting with the IT services...

I will use it for RNA-seq, from alignment to differential expression analysis, plus some Chip-seq and DNA-seq, I will not use it for de novo assembly.

Is a server to start with, I am alone working on it, and we do not have so many samples at the same moment,

what do you mean by no RAID?

Comment

Originally posted by paolo.kunder View Post
            exactly is 2GB/core. 4xAMD Opteron 16Core so in total 128 GB plus some extension of RAM..still fighting with the IT services...

I will use it for RNA-seq, from alignment to differential expression analysis, plus some Chip-seq and DNA-seq, I will not use it for de novo assembly.

Is a server to start with, I am alone working on it, and we do not have so many samples at the same moment,

what do you mean by no RAID?
            I have a 32 core / 128GB RAM machine (and 3x16 core/48GB machines) that I use for similar analyses. I didn't understand earlier about the setup - you have 8X3TB SAS drives - are you going to have them in a RAID configuration?

I only ask as in the past I would have just assumed a RAID1/RAID5 configuration for the drives - OS on RAID1, data on RAID5. But with lots of threads and CPU's writing the next server I'm commissioning I'm going for RAID10, the idea is to increase the read/write throughput which is our current apparent bottleneck.

Comment

so you advice me to ask for a RAID10 on data, and keep RAID1 on OS?

thanks
              paolo

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
                by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
                05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
              • seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 07:03 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
              0 responses