Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • paolo.kunder
    Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 93

    #1

    IBM server

    Dear all,
    anyone experienced a IBM server?
    what about advantages or disadvantages compare to other brand?
  • Bukowski
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 388

    #2
    As long as it does not fail it doesn't matter if its from IBM, Dell, HP or Fujitsu.

    Also - more detail would help - what configuration are you talking about? The art of putting a server together is how you specify and configure it, not who you buy it from (although I will never buy another HP server ever again....)

    Comment

    • paolo.kunder
      Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 93

      #3
      server configuration

      N. 1
      7164A2G IBM x3755 M3, 4xAMD Opteron 16C 6282SE
      140W 2.6GHz/16MB, 8x4GB, O/Bay HS 3.5in
      SATA/SAS, SR M5015, 2x1100W p/s, Rack
      N. 12
      49Y1397 8GB (1x8GB, 2Rx4, 1.35V) PC3L-10600 CL9
      ECC DDR3 1333MHz LP RDIMM
      N. 8
      81Y9758 IBM 3TB 3.5in 7.2K 6Gbps NL HS SAS HDD
      N. 1
      49Y7342 1100W Redundant Power Supply
      N. 1
      46M0902 IBM UltraSlim Enhanced SATA Multi-Burner
      N. 1
      39M2897 NetBAY 1.5m KVM Conversion Option pack

      + memory expansion
      IBM 8GB KIT PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM - 2 x 4GB DIMM

      Comment

      • Bukowski
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 388

        #4
        And what are you going to use it for? Are your applications memory intensive? Is disk I/O going to be critical? I'm not sure how much memory you have in there - 136GB? That looks like 2GB/core (assuming 16C = 16 core).

        I rarely spec out a machine with less than 4GB/core - but it depends on what analysis you're planning to do.

        No RAID?

        Comment

        • paolo.kunder
          Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 93

          #5
          exactly is 2GB/core. 4xAMD Opteron 16Core so in total 128 GB plus some extension of RAM..still fighting with the IT services...

          I will use it for RNA-seq, from alignment to differential expression analysis, plus some Chip-seq and DNA-seq, I will not use it for de novo assembly.

          Is a server to start with, I am alone working on it, and we do not have so many samples at the same moment,

          what do you mean by no RAID?

          Comment

          • Bukowski
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 388

            #6
            Originally posted by paolo.kunder View Post
            exactly is 2GB/core. 4xAMD Opteron 16Core so in total 128 GB plus some extension of RAM..still fighting with the IT services...

            I will use it for RNA-seq, from alignment to differential expression analysis, plus some Chip-seq and DNA-seq, I will not use it for de novo assembly.

            Is a server to start with, I am alone working on it, and we do not have so many samples at the same moment,

            what do you mean by no RAID?
            I have a 32 core / 128GB RAM machine (and 3x16 core/48GB machines) that I use for similar analyses. I didn't understand earlier about the setup - you have 8X3TB SAS drives - are you going to have them in a RAID configuration?

            I only ask as in the past I would have just assumed a RAID1/RAID5 configuration for the drives - OS on RAID1, data on RAID5. But with lots of threads and CPU's writing the next server I'm commissioning I'm going for RAID10, the idea is to increase the read/write throughput which is our current apparent bottleneck.

            Comment

            • paolo.kunder
              Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 93

              #7
              so you advice me to ask for a RAID10 on data, and keep RAID1 on OS?

              thanks
              paolo

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                Yesterday, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
              0 responses
              9 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              32 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              27 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              47 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...