No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq - get chromosome

Hello all.

I've been searching for this question for hours now, and I give up and post it here instead. It should not be very complicated.

I have a long list of sig. genes in DESeq I would like to look at in more detail where the genes are located in the genome. How do I receive chromosome number (possibly location) for the genes in DESeq? I know how to get this information in Cuffdiff, but in DESeq I wonder if it's possible.

How have you made the count table that you used as input for DESeq? I suppose, by using a GTF file. And that one contains all the information you need.

Comment

Yes, by using a reference annotation gtf. How do you suggest I use it? If I have a long list with genes I want to look at. Perhaps I can compare them somehow. I'm new to bioinformatics so it's not intuitive to me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by glados View Post
        Yes, by using a reference annotation gtf. How do you suggest I use it? If I have a long list with genes I want to look at. Perhaps I can compare them somehow. I'm new to bioinformatics so it's not intuitive to me yet.
        If you want to do it in R, this sample code will read the gtf file and extract the rows matching your list of genes:

Code:
        ## List (vector) of differentially expr. genes
        degenes<- c('TNFRSF18', 'WASH7P') 

gtf<- read.table('genes.gtf', stringsAsFactors= FALSE, sep= '\t', quote= '')
        gene_id<- sub('.*(gene_name \")', '', gtf$V9, perl= TRUE) ## NOTE: Replace gene_name with the feature to extract (e.g. gene_id, gene_symbol)
        gene_id<- sub('\".*', '', gene_id, perl=TRUE)
        gtf$gene_id<- gene_id

## All features in the GTF file for each DE gene
        degtf<- gtf[gtf$gene_id %in% degenes,]

## Get start and end coordinates for each DE gene
        decoords<- data.frame(aggregate(degtf[, c('V1', 'V7', 'V4')], by= list(gene_id= degtf$gene_id), min),
            gene_end= aggregate(degtf$V5, by= list(gene_id= degtf$gene_id), max)$x)
        Hope it helps!
        Dario

Comment

Thank you dariober for contributing with your code! It works great!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses