No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to normalize nucleotide coverage?

Hi,
    I am interested in the function of a specific bacterial exonuclease. I want to know what are its gene targets and what are its processing sites. I have RNA-seq results of 2 biological replicates of WT bacteria and 3 biological replicates of the deleted RNAse.

I want to compare the bp coverage along genes to search for sites that have different coverage pattern between the WT and the mutant. But the mutant libraries have much more mapped reads than WT libraries. So what would be the best way to normalize the bp coverage between biological replicates and different samples (WT vs. mutant)?

Pay attention that I am not interested here in finding differentially expressed genes (which I already identified using DEseq), as a processed gene might not be considered as diff. expressed gene but still it may have different coverage pattern between WT and mutant.

Regards
    Asaf

If i understand correctly, you're not interested in expression level changes (number of transcripts) but rather only the changes in pattern of bp-level coverage, presumably due to the RNAse activity.

I'd consider just doing a rank-order correlation of counts across the first/last N nucleotides of every gene between treatments. Ideally, you'd see a be able to pick out anything with a significantly different pattern and reduced correlation, with no normalization necessary. Given how nasty (and variable) end-effects can be in RNA-seq, though, I'm not sure you'd be able to pick out small amounts of endonuclease activity.

I think the main thrust of my post is that you may not need to normalize the bp coverage, and if all you're doing is comparing the pattern of coverage, you likely don't need to. However, having looked at far too many bp-level coverage plots, I find it's convenient to normalize each gene to have an identical maximum value, for 'eyeballing'.

Comment

I'd also be interested in any ideas for metrics for nt-level coverage "sameness", as that has been a long-term problem for me ; Every metric i've tried stumbles when it comes to coverage patterns that the eye quite clearly can tell are the 'same' but have, for example, one peak at 50% when that same peak is at 70% in the original.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses