Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data filters at what stage of NGS data analysis?

Greetings friends!

I seek help with data that I have : 3 time points, 3 genotypes, 3 replicates for each of these = 27 libraries

The goal is to find genes that have different time expression profiles amongst 2 or more genotypes.

After our 1st round of data analysis, (including TMM normalization), the time course graphs and box plots were so noisy in terms of high std error at each time point, that it was hard to say if expression profile of one genotype was overlapping or distinct from that for the other genotypes! R code attached at bottom of this post.

So in short - we now need to employ data filters to check and reduce noise in our data. Some ideas are
    removing genes that have low expression (count) levels
    removing genes that have high variance across replicates
    removing genes that have low variance across time (constitutively expressed genes are biologically less interesting)

So my question to you is what stage of my analysis do I employ these filters?
    On the raw data itself, prior to normalization?
    Or should I perform the TMM normalization, use the norm factors to transform my data to non-integer normalized counts and then filter (in which case I think I cannot fit them into negative binomial model, right?)

Code:
    count = read.table("Input.txt", sep="\t", header=T)                     					
    #$#$ read in raw count mapped data

f.count = count[apply(count[,-c(1,ncol(count))],1,sum) > 27,]                               
    #$#$ filter ou genes with total read count < 27 across all libraries

f.dat = f.count[,-c(1,ncol(count))]                                                         
    #$#$ select only read count, not rest of data frame

S = factor(rep(c("gen1","gen2","gen3"),rep(9,3)))                                           
    #$#$ define group

Time = factor(rep(rep(c("0","10","20"),rep(3,3)),3))         								
    #$#$ define time

Time.rep = rep(1:3,9)                                                                        
    #$#$ define replicate

Group = paste(S,Time,Time.rep,sep="_")                                                         
    #$#$ define group_time_replicate

library(edgeR)                                                                              
    #$#$ load edgeR package

f.factor = data.frame(files = names(f.dat), S = S , Time = Time, lib.size = c(apply(f.dat,2,sum)),norm.factors = calcNormFactors(as.matrix(f.dat)))  
    #$#$  make data for edgeR method

count.d = new("DGEList", list(samples = f.factor, counts = as.matrix(f.dat)))               
    #$#$  make data for edgeR method

design = model.matrix(~ Time + S)                                                           
    #$#$  make design data for edgeR method

count.d = calcNormFactors(count.d)                                                          
    #$#$  Normalize TMM

glmfit.d = glmFit(count.d, design, dispersion = 0.1)                                        
    #$#$  Fit the Negative Binomial Gen Lin Models

lrt.count = glmLRT(count.d, glmfit.d)                                                       
    #$#$  Likelihood ratio tests

result.count = data.frame(f.count, lrt.count$table)                                         
    #$#$  combining raw data and results from edgeR

result.count$FDR = p.adjust(result.count$p.value,method="BH")                               
    #$#$  calculating the False Discovery Rate

write.table(result.count, "edgeR.Medicago_count_WT_Mu3.txt",sep="\t",row.names=F)           
    #$#$  saving the combined data set

See this:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Best Practices for Single-Cell Sequencing Analysis
      by seqadmin

While isolating and preparing single cells for sequencing was historically the bottleneck, recent technological advancements have shifted the challenge to data analysis. This highlights the rapidly evolving nature of single-cell sequencing. The inherent complexity of single-cell analysis has intensified with the surge in data volume and the incorporation of diverse and more complex datasets. This article explores the challenges in analysis, examines common pitfalls, offers...
      06-06-2024, 07:15 AM
    • seqadmin
      Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
      by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
      “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
      05-24-2024, 01:16 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 06-14-2024, 07:24 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 06-13-2024, 08:58 AM
    0 responses