Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify the secretion system in a newly sequenced bacterial genome?

I hava a newly sequenced genome containing several hundred of scaffolds.Now I want to know how many secretion systems there are in this strain.I have annotated the draft genome using RAST.But the annotation information can not tell whether a protein is involved in a scretion system.So how to find out what I want from the annotation results, or is there another way to get what I want?
    Thank you.

A good start would be to collect all the proteins from the standard bacterial secretion pathways, as described here: http://www.genome.jp/kegg/pathway/ko/ko03070.html

Then find orthologs (homologs) of those proteins in your annotated genome.

Comment

I have done this work.I collected the COGs data of most of the proteins from the bacterial secretion pathways.And then ran a blast to the annotation result.But there exist an inconsistency between two results.That is what trouble me now.
      for example:
      protein A:the annotation of RAST is "IncI1 plasmid conjugative transfer ATPase PilQ",but with my way,the annotation is "virB11".

Comment

I guess that means PilQ is similar to VirB11 at a BLAST level.

You should try and use PFAM domains rather than arbirtray BLAST /product descriptions to connect your proteins as homologs perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by ontheway View Post
          I have done this work.I collected the COGs data of most of the proteins from the bacterial secretion pathways.And then ran a blast to the annotation result.But there exist an inconsistency between two results.That is what trouble me now.
          for example:
          protein A:the annotation of RAST is "IncI1 plasmid conjugative transfer ATPase PilQ",but with my way,the annotation is "virB11".
          Hi Ontheway,

When you said that you collected the COGs data and Blast it against the bacteria genome, did you used the standalone version of blast? Did you batch blast it? or how did you do the blasting part? I currently have multiple assemblies of a genome and I downloaded a whole bunch of COGS which I want to blast against my assemblies to select the best one. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses