No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help needed for plant reference assembly

Hi all,

I am currently looking into methods to do reference assembly of a plant genome, and later call for SNVs based on this assembly.

I see a lot of threads on de novo assemblers but not many on reference-based ones. So far, I notice a lot of discussions on Velvet, MIRA and Soap.. but I'm not sure which is the best tool for eventual variant calling. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

My fastq files are from 3 separate plants of the same species. Should I pool all the reads together and build a consensus assembly and call variants from the consensus?

A newbie at assembly, any feedback would be much appreciated.

Hi mht,

we work on plants here too and I tend to use Bowtie for my mapping (= reference assembly). Of all the mappers I have tried it gives me the greatest degree of control. It has this great switch that allows you to reduce cross-mapping of reads between pairs of paralogs (--best --strata). This really helps reduce the number of false positive SNPs later.

I also do a lot of SNP detection and I currently use bcftools (part of samtools) to do this. If I have multiple samples and I want to find SNPs between them I tend to map the quality trimmed reads of each sample separately first, then merge the BAM files with samtools merge, and then do the SNP discovery on that. This gives me a full audit trail of where each read comes from as you can add read group tags during the merge, and this is also handy for visualisation afterwards (we use Tablet for this).

I have written a shell script that iterates over a set of FASTQ files and maps them as described above. I still use my own trimming code but you can substitute that with anything you like (e.g. trimmomatic or similar). It goes like this:

Code:
    #GBS specific pipeline for mapping single end reads to a reference using Bowtie
    #Assumptions:
    #1. the Bowtie reference index has already been generated with bowtie-build and all samples use the same reference
    #2. all sample reads are packaged in compressed files with a .txt.gz extension and are located in the working directory

#params
    referenceIndex=$1
    numMismatches=$2
    mapToAllLocations=$3
    numProcessors=$4
    #don't include an extension for this file's name
    mergedFileName=$5
    baseQualityOffset=$6

#directories
    undedupedBamFilesDir=undedupedBamFiles
    mergedDir=merged

#check for the correct number of args
    if [ $# -ne 6 ]
    then
        echo "Error in $0 - Invalid Argument Count"
        echo "Syntax: $0  <referenceIndex> <numMismatches> <mapToAllLocations> <numProcessors> <mergedFileName> <baseQualityOffset>"
        exit
    fi

#make the directory for the merged files
    mkdir $mergedDir

#make a directory for the undeduped files
    mkdir $undedupedBamFilesDir

#make a file for the merged bam file header
    headerFile=header.txt
    rm $headerFile
    touch $headerFile

#extract all the filenames to an array
    files=`ls -l *.txt.gz | awk '{ print $9 }'`

#iterate over these
    for i in $files
    do
    	echo "=================processing file $i"

#extract filename without extension
    	fileNameNoExt=`echo $i | basename $i .txt.gz`

#gunzip the file
    	echo "unzipping file"
    	gunzip -c $i > $fileNameNoExt".fastq"

# Trim the ends of the raw reads to a quality of 20 and prefixes the read names at the same time
    	echo "quality trimming reads"
    	java utils.ngs.FastqQualityTrimmer $baseQualityOffset 20 false false true $fileNameNoExt".fastq"

# Map the reads with Bowtie
    	echo "mapping reads with Bowtie"
    	if [ "$mapToAllLocations" == "true" ]
    	then
    	#using the 'all' mapping mode -- this maps reads to all of their mappable locations
    		if [ "$baseQualityOffset" == "64" ]
    		then
    			#offset 64
    			bowtie --phred64-quals --best --strata -v $numMismatches --sam -p $numProcessors -a $referenceIndex $fileNameNoExt".fastq.qualTrimmed" > $fileNameNoExt.sam
    		elif [ "$baseQualityOffset" == "33" ]
    		then
    			#offset 33
    			bowtie --phred33-quals --best --strata -v $numMismatches --sam -p $numProcessors -a $referenceIndex $fileNameNoExt".fastq.qualTrimmed" > $fileNameNoExt.sam
    		fi
    	else
    	#using the 'unique' mapping mode -- this only maps reads that have only a single mappable location		
    		if [ "$baseQualityOffset" == "64" ]
    		then
    			#offset 64
    			bowtie --phred64-quals --best --strata -v $numMismatches --sam -p $numProcessors -m 1 $referenceIndex $fileNameNoExt".fastq.qualTrimmed" > $fileNameNoExt.sam
    		elif [ "$baseQualityOffset" == "33" ]
    		then
    			#offset 33
    			bowtie --phred33-quals --best --strata -v $numMismatches --sam -p $numProcessors -m 1 $referenceIndex $fileNameNoExt".fastq.qualTrimmed" > $fileNameNoExt.sam
    		fi
    	fi

# Convert to BAM
    	echo "converting SAM to BAM"
    	samtools view -S -b -o $fileNameNoExt.unsorted.bam $fileNameNoExt.sam	

#sort bam file
    	echo "sorting BAM file with dups"
    	samtools sort $fileNameNoExt.unsorted.bam $fileNameNoExt.duplicatesRetained

echo "indexing BAM file with dups "
    	samtools index $fileNameNoExt.duplicatesRetained.bam

echo "removing duplicates"
    	samtools rmdup -s $fileNameNoExt.duplicatesRetained.bam $fileNameNoExt.bam	

echo "indexing deduped BAM file "
    	samtools index $fileNameNoExt.bam

#append an RG header to the joint header file
    	#should look like this:
    	# @RG     ID:FC069_s5_sequence_Waggon     SM:FC069_s5_sequence_Waggon
    	echo -ne "@RG\tID:$fileNameNoExt\tSM:$fileNameNoExt\n" >> $headerFile

#delete all redundant files 
    	echo "cleaning up redundant files"
    	rm $fileNameNoExt.unsorted.bam
    	rm $fileNameNoExt.sam
    	rm $fileNameNoExt".fastq.qualTrimmed"
    	rm $fileNameNoExt".fastq"

#move the undeduped files
    	mv $fileNameNoExt.duplicatesRetained.bam $undedupedBamFilesDir
    	mv $fileNameNoExt.duplicatesRetained.bam.bai $undedupedBamFilesDir

done

#then merge the remaining individual bam files into a single one, using the header file we have been building up gradually 

echo "===========merging individual bam files==============="
    samtools merge -frh $headerFile $mergedFileName.bam *.bam
    echo "indexing merged file"
    samtools index $mergedFileName.bam
    #move these to the merged directory
    mv $mergedFileName.bam* $mergedDir

echo "done"
    Then I do the SNP calling on the merged file like this:

Code:
    samtools  mpileup  -D -u -f <referenceFasta> <BAM file> | bcftools view -v -s <file with sample names> - | tee SNPs.vcf
    The tee command pipes the output both to stdout and to a file -- quite handy.

Hopes this helps.

cheers

Micha

Comment

Hi Micha,

Thanks for your reply. My pipeline is almost similar to yours, but using BWA as my mapper and a few other different programs. I was wondering if you've ever observed read mapping to regions with ambiguous reads (Ns). My reference genome are actually scaffolds with Ns in between, and some of my reads are mapping to these regions, resulting in what I presume are false SNP and indel calls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ambiguous_region.png
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	303970

Any idea what I can do to resolve this?
      Last edited by mht; 10-16-2012, 05:50 AM. Reason: adding image

Comment

Hi mht,

I have little experience of how Bowtie would handle mapping reads onto scaffolded sequences with Ns in them, but does this still happen if you force the reads to have, say, no more than 1 or 2 mismatches? If the mapper counts mapping onto Ns in the referene as a mismatch then the problem you have in the image there should go away.

cheers
        Micha

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
          by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
          05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
        • seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
        0 responses