Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John.Mar
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 2

    #1

    Compare Fields in 2 Different Files

    Hi all,
    I'm trying to compare between 2 files in the following manner: if a string in file 1 column 1 is found in file 2 columns 2 OR 3, then print the line from file 2 where a match was found. The catch is that I'm not looking for an exact match- I've found many solutions which solve that.
    Example:
    Code:
    file1.txt
    23
    1444
    223
    89
    Code:
    file2.txt
    1,23,34545
    1,3223,343433
    344,4345,989
    12,15,632
    Code:
    expectedoutput.txt
    1,23,34545
    1,3223,343433
    344,4345,899
    The solutions I've found (no good) would yield the following output:
    Code:
    1,23,34545
    A few clarifications:
    1. The fields will always be numbers.
    2. The values in file1 can be of any length.
    3. The values in file2 can be of any length.
    4. The value from file 1 which I'm searching file 2 for can be in any part of column 2 or 3- beginning, middle, or end.
    5. File 1 contains roughly 50,000 values, file 2 can contain 4 million +

    Thanks a lot in advance!
  • rflrob
    Member
    • May 2010
    • 50

    #2
    In python, I think I'd do something like the following:

    Code:
    f1_name = 'file1.txt'
    f2_name = 'file2.txt'
    f1s = [line.strip() for line in open(f1_name)]
    
    for line in open(f2_name):
        col2, col3 = line.strip().split(',')[1:3]
        for entry in f1s:
            if entry in col2 or entry in col3:
                print line
                break # breaks out of the inner for loop
    It's not super efficient, but if you're only doing it a handful of times, probably not that bad.

    Comment

    • vmrosario
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2012
      • 5

      #3
      bash is also an option

      while read line
      do
      grep "$line" file2.txt
      done < file1.txt

      Comment

      • John.Mar
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2012
        • 2

        #4
        Hi all,

        Thanks for the replies, I haven't tested them out yet.
        I ended up using fgrep -f file1 file2
        Works perfectly, I'll try the offered solutions in a bit

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        13 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        37 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        28 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...