Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Derek-C
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 7

    #1

    Bowtie2 Sam output

    Hey guys,

    I'm somewhat new to bioinformatics and I'm using bowtie2 with transcriptomic data, but there's something I don't quite understand. I'm mapping my transcripts to a version of the NCBI database in order to try to identify them. When I put the output sam file from bowtie2 into samtools and run flagstats on them it says (among other things)

    Y + 0 mapped (x%:nan%)

    That percentage has been somewhat low (~ 30 %)

    But I thought the sam output file contained all the reads that were mapped against the reference database? How can only a certain percentage of this sam file contain mapped reads? Or am I misunderstanding something here? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Derek-C; 11-13-2012, 06:20 AM.
  • swbarnes2
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 910

    #2
    Originally posted by Derek-C View Post
    Hey guys,

    I'm somewhat new to bioinformatics and I'm using bowtie2 with transcriptomic data, but there's something I don't quite understand. I'm mapping my transcripts to a version of a NCBI library in order to try to identify them. When I put the output sam file from bowtie2 into samtools and run flagstats on them it says (among other things)

    Y + 0 mapped (x%:nan%)

    That percentage has been somewhat low (~ 30 %)

    But I thought the sam output file contained all the reads that were mapped against the reference database? How can only a certain percentage of this sam file contain mapped reads? Or am I misunderstanding something here? Thanks in advance!
    For completeness sake, reads that failed to map are usually included in .bam files. So that's normal. 30% mapping is kind of low. You are aligning to a reference file of transcripts, right? Not genome?

    Comment

    • Derek-C
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 7

      #3
      Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
      For completeness sake, reads that failed to map are usually included in .bam files. So that's normal. 30% mapping is kind of low. You are aligning to a reference file of transcripts, right? Not genome?
      Yup thats right.

      I'm sorry I'm not quite understanding what you mean? If reads that fail to map are included in another file, then how is it that only 30% of the reads in the other file mapped?

      Comment

      • rflrob
        Member
        • May 2010
        • 50

        #4
        I think swbarnes was saying that reads that fail to map are included in the same SAM file as the ones that do map. There are options for bowtie that let you put them into a separate file; what does your command string look like?

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        45 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...