No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting all microbial sequences from NT

Hi all,

I have been trying to find a way to extract all microbial (and eukaryotic) sequences in the NT database but I am running into a bunch of problems.

I have tried to download the GI lists for all bacterial entries using the NCBI nucleotide database, but the generated files always time out and fail to download the file completely. Then I thought maybe I could get the GI IDs using blastdbcmd, but that also fails. I tried the following:

Code:
    blastdbcmd -db nt -entry all -outfmt '%g %T' | awk '{ if ($2 == "2") print $1 }' > ../gi/bacteria.gi
    But that also failed, since the individual entries have their species taxon in the %T field, instead of the domain, etc.

Then I thought maybe I could get a list of all taxon IDs for bacteria, eukaryota, etc., but that also doesn't appear to exist.

So in short - does anybody have an idea how I can extract all microbial sequences (to make a custom database) from the NT database? Whatever method works....

Thanks guys!

Hey

Not a full solution, but MEGAN provides files which map GIs to taxon IDs for nt and nr via this link: http://ab.inf.uni-tuebingen.de/data/...d/welcome.html

Hope that helps

Comment

Easiest method to get taxonomy ids ...
      Just check out this directory: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/

Check out doucmentation here :
      A brief description of file extensions and file formats found at the National Center for Biotechnology Information

for NCBI file name extensions.

You can ftp download data from NCBI here :
      ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/Bacteria/
      Look for the all* files. The ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/B...all.fna.tar.gz file should be all bacterial genomes.

Virae here : ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/Viruses/

"WGS bacteria OLD" is thereabouts, just look around. Draft genomes there abouts, too.

_____

Alternate way to get taxon ids for example bacteria ...

You can get the file "all rpt" file via wget :
      wget ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/B...all.rpt.tar.gz
      Unzip and untar.

Run the command
      -bash-3.00$ find . -name '*.rpt' -exec grep Taxid {} \; | sort | uniq
      There you go.

Comment

Wow, thanks so much guys - this was incredible helpful! I got it all covered now

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses