Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Sam-Bam conversion samtools - how to remove last line of Sam file?

Hello guys and gals!

I have a bit of a problem with samtools Sam-bam conversion. I have 8 files containing single read illumina data that I have aligned to my reference genome using bwa samse. No problems. Upon conversion, however, 4 out of 8 Sam files create a problem. The other 4 convert without a hitch.

I am writing this from my mobile so cannot copy in the error message, but it is the same that has been discussed here before - samtools complains about the sequence and quality information not matching and aborts.

Funnily, this only happens in the very last line of each Sam file! So I figured I just remove it and try again.

Any ideas as to how to accomplish this? I have tried opening the file in a simple text editor, but they are too massive (15GB)...

If all you want to do is trim off the last line in a file, I can think of a whole slew of ways. You could count the number of lines in the files (wc -l) and then "head -n X" into a new SAM files, where X is 1 less than the number of lines in the file. Alternatively, you could just grep for everything put the last read name and send that to a new file. Or, you could just tell samtools how many of the reads to convert to a BAM file (the -c switch), giving it all but the last one.

Of course, this assumes that removing the last line will actually fix things. It'd be helpful to see the last read that seems to be causing the problem and the error message.

Comment

Agree that one line might only be a tip of iceberg.

Comment

Thanks for your input!

I have, however, since sorted and merged all my bam files. Samtools complains about the missing EOF in the 4 bams in question and warns of possibly truncated data, but creates a merged file, which contains all my reads ( I can see that from samtools flagstat) but the 4 last ones from the respective files. The alignment looks absolutely fine when visualized in IGV.

Anyway, it is of course better to find out where this pesky error is coming from, I'll figure out how to look at those lines tomorrow...read about the bamseek tool, maybe I'll try that.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses