No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differential methylation region analysis without replicated

hello everyone!
    I got two samples bisufite sequencing data(each about 10G from illumina platform).after rowdata QC and alignment as well as methylation calling by Bismark,now i have methylation level in each sample's C (CpG,CHH,CHG region) and wanna perform downstream analysis such as DMR.
    here are my question:
    1,how to identify DMRs between two sample without replicated?
    2, any tools can do this kind of analysis?
    3,Is there any wrong within my analysis workflow?(ps:i am a green hand)

In general there are two approaches you can take to call differential methylation from this kind of data.

1) You can call differences at the level of individual Cs by comparing the proportion of meth:unmeth in your two samples using a contingency test such as a Fisher's exact or Chi-square test. The problem with doing this is that you have to apply a large amount of multiple testing correction so in order for something to be significant after correction you need a high level of observation for each C to be able to achieve sufficiently low raw p-values. You can extend this test to larger regions by summing up the meth:unmeth counts over the region but this isn't ideal as the representation of each C won't be the same so your result may be unduly biased by a subset of positions within the region.

2) Alternatively you can calculate a percentage methylation for each C (maybe filtering for coverage level so you only use Cs which have a sensible level of observation). Then you can group together Cs falling within a larger region and compare the distribution of methlyation percentages between your samples using a t-test (or ANOVA if you have more than 2 samples). This test is fairer in that it represents each C equally, but may be problematic in that you get more power for your test if you have more Cs in a given context in your analysed region.

We've been incorporating some of these kinds of tests into SeqMonk, but it's only in our internal development version at the moment and hasn't made it into a public release. There are some R packages which I think do something similar though we've not used these ourselves.

Comment

thanks Simon! I think I got your piont ,the method to detect DMR depends on the region i intend to analysis . Anyway ,i will try both way first!

Comment

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what coverage you would need in a sequencing project to detect a 10% difference in methylation?

I am currently optimizing the Methyl-Seq protocol and I am trying to figure out how many samples I can multiplex efficiently.

Thanks,
        Marie

Comment

Originally posted by mariebreen View Post
          Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what coverage you would need in a sequencing project to detect a 10% difference in methylation?

I am currently optimizing the Methyl-Seq protocol and I am trying to figure out how many samples I can multiplex efficiently.

Thanks,
          Marie
          it's hard to say , maybe you can draw a saturation curve for certain kind of data by a coverage gradient. In my view, different samples have unequal meth-level, there are no standard or minimum coverage limited to dectect such diff-meth proportion.
          waiting for further explanation。

Comment

Originally posted by mariebreen View Post
            Hi all,

You should be able to run a standard power analysis to work this out. It will depend on the size of the genome you're using, the size of the area you're looking at and the distribution of CpG densities (assuming CpG methylation).

In any case you're going to need pretty high coverage to detect this with any sensitivity. My gut feeling says you'd need an average coverage of >50X which if you're using a big genome isn't going to be cheap.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses