Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software for sliding window

I am looking for a tool which can allow me to divide a bacterial genome into different sliding windows and count the average of read count. Am I have to go only with custom script or is there any software out there which can allow me to do that.

Thanks

1, If we developers do make such programs, anyone is willing to pay for it?
    2, If not, will any journal publish a program like this?
    3, If not, a free coffee? Too far away.

Comment

software for sliding window

I think all scientific fields go hand in hand. I am asking for a pointer if some one came across such tool in any software.

Thanks

Comment

Yikes! Quite an unhelpful response there -- for what is really a pretty trivial program.

Once you have all the reads mapped in a BAM file, then this is easy to do with Perl and the Bio:B::Sam library for Perl (or Python and same or so forth). Probably about a page of Perl (or similar language);

Not speedy, but you can also do it with a series of samtools commands:

samtools view myaln.sam seq1:1000-2000 | wc
        samtools view myaln.sam seq1:1500-2500 | wc

The first number of each line will be the number of reads found in that window. Generating this series of commands can even be run entirely on the command line.

Yet another approach would be to generate the pileup & parse that; the read ends are marked in the output and so could be used to do this counting (to depth at middle of window, add all the read start markers found within the window but to the right of the middle plus all the read end markers found within the window but to the left of the middle).

Comment

Sliding window

krobison

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Originally posted by mathew View Post
            I am looking for a tool which can allow me to divide a bacterial genome into different sliding windows and count the average of read count. Am I have to go only with custom script or is there any software out there which can allow me to do that.

Thanks

I think bedtools has already all you need:

This snippet will divide your genome file (format: chromosome-name<tab>chr size) in windows of size 1000bp by sliding them by 100bp
            Code:
            bedtools makewindows -g mygenome.bed -w 1000 -s 100 -i srcwinnum >  mygenome.windows.bed
            Now count reads in each window:

Code:
            bedtools coverage -abam myreads.bam -b mygenome.windows.bed > mycov.bed
            If you want to know the average read count in the windows have a look at "bedtools groupby" or read the output of "bedtools coverage" to R, if you are familiar with it and the file is not too big.

Good luck!

Dario

Comment

SeqMonk

Perhaps Seqmonk would be of use. SeqMonk is a program to enable the visualisation and analysis of mapped sequence data. The progam allows the user to divide the genome into sliding windows and then quantify each region.

Seqmonk homepage

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses