• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat failure: Reporting output tracks and bam_merge

Something wrong with bam_merge?

TopHat run (v2.0.6)
    Bowtie version: 0.12.7.0
    Samtools version: 0.1.18.0

tophat --bowtie1 -o ./SRR486241 --solexa-quals -p 10 -g 1 --no-coverage-search --no-novel-juncs --library-type fr-firststrand -G genes.gtf GRCh37 ESC_1.fastq ESC_2.fastq

Reporting output tracks
    [FAILED]
    Error running /usr/local/bin/tophat_reports --min-anchor 8 --splice-mismatches 0 --min-report-intron 50 --max-report-intron 500000 --min-isoform-fraction 0.15 --output-dir ./SRR486241/ --max-multihits 1 --max-seg-multihits 10 --segment-length 25 --segment-mismatches 2 --min-closure-exon 100 --min-closure-intron 50 --max-closure-intron 5000 --min-coverage-intron 50 --max-coverage-intron 20000 --min-segment-intron 50 --max-segment-intron 500000 --read-mismatches 2 --read-gap-length 2 --read-edit-dist 2 --read-realign-edit-dist 3 --max-insertion-length 3 --max-deletion-length 3 --bowtie1 -z gzip -p10 --inner-dist-mean 50 --inner-dist-std-dev 20 --gtf-annotations genes.gtf --gtf-juncs ./SRR486241/tmp/genes.juncs --no-closure-search --no-coverage-search --no-microexon-search --solexa-quals --library-type fr-firststrand --sam-header ./SRR486241/tmp/GRCh37_genome.bwt.samheader.sam --report-discordant-pair-alignments --report-mixed-alignments --samtools=/Users/yingtao/Jerry/Tools/samtools/samtools --bowtie2-max-penalty 6 --bowtie2-min-penalty 2 --bowtie2-penalty-for-N 1 --bowtie2-read-gap-open 5 --bowtie2-read-gap-cont 3 --bowtie2-ref-gap-open 5 --bowtie2-ref-gap-cont 3 GRCh37.fa ./SRR486241/junctions.bed ./SRR486241/insertions.bed ./SRR486241/deletions.bed ./SRR486241/fusions.out ./SRR486241/tmp/accepted_hits ./SRR486241/tmp/left_kept_reads.m2g.bam,./SRR486241/tmp/left_kept_reads.m2g_um.mapped.bam,./SRR486241/tmp/left_kept_reads.m2g_um.candidates ./SRR486241/tmp/left_kept_reads.bam ./SRR486241/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g.bam,./SRR486241/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g_um.mapped.bam,./SRR486241/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g_um.candidates ./SRR486241/tmp/right_kept_reads.bam

Error: bam_merge failed to open BAM file ./SRR486241/tmp/right_kept_reads.m2g_um.candidates3.bam

The input files are very large. There are about 200 million pairs of paired-end reads.
    When I tried the same parameter using the first 10,000 pairs, everything was fine and there was no failure.
    Therefore, is it because the input FASTQ file is too large?
    Last edited by Jerry_Zhao; 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM.

>Therefore, is it because the input FASTQ file is too large?

Well, that would be the very root cause, yes. Smaller input equals less load on the system overall. Now as if bam_merge itself is having problems ... that is a different issue. It could be simply that you are running out of disk space, disk quota, an network file error, memory constraints, etc instead of the bam_merge program per se. Are there any other error messages preceeding the one that you posted?

Comment

We have 2T hard drive and the input files are 67G + 67G , therefore the disk space is unlikely the problem.
      We have 32G memory and the tophat only use half of them.

I have used the same parameter for several datasets with 20 million single-end reads last week, and everything was fine.

I have changed the parameter -p 10 to -p 7, and run tophat again.
      I will update the result today or tomorrow.

Comment

any news?

Jerry,

Having similar problem with TopHat 2.0.6. Have 2T hard drive and 96G memory. Input files are 20G + 20G. I too, have used the same parameter (-p 25) for smaller datasets with no problem. Any results when you decreased the number of threads from 10 to 7?

Appreciate any information...

Comment

Hi Labrat73,

Sorry that I forgot to update.

I only changed the parameter -p 10 to -p 7, and no error message occurred.
          Nevertheless, I do not have high confidence about the results.

Therefore, I am going to try STAR, another RNA-seq aligner.
          I will update after I get the STAR results and compare with the two.

Best,
          Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry_Zhao View Post
            Hi Labrat73,

Sorry that I forgot to update.

I only changed the parameter -p 10 to -p 7, and no error message occurred.
            Nevertheless, I do not have high confidence about the results.

Therefore, I am going to try STAR, another RNA-seq aligner.
            I will update after I get the STAR results and compare with the two.

Best,
            Jerry

Hi,

I am getting into that error for one of my samples. So the trick is to lower the number of threads to solve it. Did I read it correctly?

Comment

Yes.
              Reduce the number of threads to no more than 10, there will be no error message during running.

Nevertheless, no error message does not mean that the mapping is correct. This is my opinion.

Comment

Jup, the job went through without crash.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses