Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Liam_Gallagher
    Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 18

    #1

    Combine annotations

    Hi all...could you suggest me a way to combine annotations coming from different files and related to the same subject (e.g. the same genomic coordinate) ? I was thinking about Annovar (tool to annotate nucleotide variants, indels, etc.) which produces a lot of files...and usually I use Excel to combine all of this annotations in one final document containing all the informations.
    This method works, but it takes me a lot of time....
    Thank you!

    Another question: how can I annotate a BED file containing a list of genomic coordinates, with corrisponding Gene Symbols ? I tried using the UCSC genome browser (tables section), but I was able to annotate just with ucsc gene names, and not with normal names (like Hugo symbol names). BEDTools can do it ? thanks!
  • jxchong
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 6

    #2
    Annovar has a summarize_annovar.pl script you can take a look at...

    Personally, I combine the annotations using my own scripts. Excel is definitely not that way to do it!! You're just going to end up making mistakes, plus Excel can't handle more than a handful of data sets.

    Comment

    • Liam_Gallagher
      Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 18

      #3
      Yes...I know about summarize_annovar, but I was not able to get it working...because of an error. Today I tried to redownload some database, and now it works fine!
      Fortunately I have just some variant to annotate (we look just at some gene...it's not a big sequencing project..) and to do it I use a macro that I've written...and do the work automatically. But to combine all the input file to process with my macro, it takes time....so i was wondering if you know other tools that do it..however thank you for the suggestions!

      What about my second question (to annotate a bed file with hgnc gene symbols) ?! :-)


      Originally posted by jxchong View Post
      Annovar has a summarize_annovar.pl script you can take a look at...

      Personally, I combine the annotations using my own scripts. Excel is definitely not that way to do it!! You're just going to end up making mistakes, plus Excel can't handle more than a handful of data sets.

      Comment

      • jxchong
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 6

        #4
        The other tool would be writing a script yourself to do it (usually Perl or Python)


        Comment

        • AlexReynolds
          Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 45

          #5
          Originally posted by Liam_Gallagher View Post
          Another question: how can I annotate a BED file containing a list of genomic coordinates, with corrisponding Gene Symbols ? I tried using the UCSC genome browser (tables section), but I was able to annotate just with ucsc gene names, and not with normal names (like Hugo symbol names). BEDTools can do it ? thanks!
          BEDOPS is another suite of tools for manipulating BED data.

          You can use the bedmap tool to annotate genomic regions with IDs or other data from other sets (gene names, etc.).

          As an example, if you have regions in a sorted file called Regions.bed and your genes in a sorted file called Genes.bed (where gene IDs are in the fourth column, per UCSC specification), the file AnnotatedRegions.bed will contain your answer:

          Code:
          $ bedmap --echo --echo-map-id --delim '\t' Regions.bed Genes.bed > AnnotatedRegions.bed
          The only requirement is that the inputs are sorted. Use the sort-bed utility for this purpose, e.g.:

          Code:
          $ sort-bed UnsortedRegions.bed > SortedRegions.bed

          Comment

          • Liam_Gallagher
            Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 18

            #6
            Originally posted by AlexReynolds View Post
            BEDOPS is another suite of tools for manipulating BED data.

            You can use the bedmap tool to annotate genomic regions with IDs or other data from other sets (gene names, etc.).

            As an example, if you have regions in a sorted file called Regions.bed and your genes in a sorted file called Genes.bed (where gene IDs are in the fourth column, per UCSC specification), the file AnnotatedRegions.bed will contain your answer:

            Code:
            $ bedmap --echo --echo-map-id --delim '\t' Regions.bed Genes.bed > AnnotatedRegions.bed
            The only requirement is that the inputs are sorted. Use the sort-bed utility for this purpose, e.g.:

            Code:
            $ sort-bed UnsortedRegions.bed > SortedRegions.bed
            Thank you very much for your suggestions....they are very helpful!!

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...