Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • lmilne
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 8

    #1

    tophat - cannot view sam output in samtools tview

    Tophat (v1.0.11) generates a SAM format file, but when I try to generate a BAM file from it to use in samtools tview I get:

    samtools view -b -S -o accepted_hits.bam accepted_hits.sam
    [samopen] no @SQ lines in the header.
    [sam_read1] missing header? Abort!

    Anyone got ideas on how to get round this?
  • sdriscoll
    I like code
    • Sep 2009
    • 436

    #2
    I have this same issue. The samtools instructions explain what is going on but I'm still not all the way to a solution myself. The @SQ line is a single header line from the SAM format specification (from the samtools site - they have a PDF) that identifies the reference sequence and the length of that sequence. In their example they specify a single chromosome and the length is that chromosome's length - but I'm not sure how to extend that to a SAM file from Tophat that has the entire genome in it.



    According to the 'view' command description the -S option tells samtools that the @SQ lines aren't included but when you use -S you also have to specify -t (Bowtie's site doesn't mention this). The -t option is used to specify a reference file in fasta format. I'm guessing that might be something like a single chromosome's FASTA file but again I don't understand how to extend that to the entire genome. Or maybe you can't make a BAM for the entire genome? I'm not sure...but I'm getting closer.
    /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
    Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

    Comment

    • kch
      Junior Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 9

      #3
      I was able to resolve this issue by following the second set of instructions from here: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._SAM_to_BAM.3F
      How to convert SAM to BAM?

      ...

      samtools faidx ref.fa
      samtools view -bt ref.fa.fai aln.sam > aln.bam
      Hope this helps

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
      0 responses
      8 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      31 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      27 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      47 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...