No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservation Scoring Across Motif Sites

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to compute conservation of sequence in and around motif across multiple sites, but within the same species, the same as the conservation plot here:

(C, middle)

They used phyloP. However, that requires model of substitution, e.g. neutral.mod. That can be done via phyloFit, but I am only interested in 1 species, in this case Arabidopsis and I am not sure what to use to compute model! I don't think using coding sequence of homologs is right, because I am looking into promoter sequences. So what I was trying to do is to use all of my sites for a motif(~1000) each about 50 bp long to estimate this model.

As soon as I run phyloFit with 4 FASTA sequences it complains:
    "ERROR: --tree required"

So I am not sure how to generate model using phyloFit and multiple sequences from the same species.

Then, let's say I have model, I also have aligned my 50bp sites using some multiple aligner and run:

phylop model.mod in.fasta
    Returns:
    ERROR: no match for leaves of tree in alignment.

I don't understand how it relates leaves in the tree that is generated by phyloFit and the inputs to phyloP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Can you list the sequence of commands you tried.
    What commands did you give for phyloFit
    and also you say
    "phylop model.mod in.fasta"
    how did you generate the model.mod file that you are using as an input to phylop

--
    phyloFit in.fasta (generates model.mod)
    the model.mod can then be used in phylop model.mod in.fasta
    Last edited by balaji; 03-23-2013, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I don't have .mod file yet because I don't want model across species. I want model within arabidopsis, if you see what I mean? I am only going to be comparing sites form arabidopsis genes so I need substitution/deletion/etc rates within genome. As the first step I am not sure how to generate that!

Any ideas?

Alex

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
        by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
        05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
      • seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
      0 responses