Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • thejustpark
    Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 28

    #1

    Coding and non-coding transcripts overlap in databases, am I doing something wrong?

    While working with the UCSC and RefSeq noncoding data extracted as instructed, I found a strange problem.

    First of all, I collected non-coding transcripts from RefSeq and UCSC annotations using the filters "NR_" and "cdsStart=cdsEnd" in UCSC Genome browser and coding transcripts using the filters "NM_" and "cdsStart!=cdsEnd".
    I would expect that a transcript cannot be both protein-coding and non-coding, but there are many transcripts appearing both in coding and non-coding annotations.
    For example, I found that NR_02784 and NM_013796 refer to the same transcript.

    This trend is also found between UCSC and RefSeq annotations.
    For example, UCSC lncRNA 'uc009ura.2' is exactly the same as RefSeq protein-coding transcript NM_027327.
    How can this happen?
    Does this mean I somehow collected the data in the wrong way or is it their annotation problem?
    In the case of latter, what can I do about these transcripts? do I have to throw out all such transcripts of my considerations?

    Thanks guys for your time and helps.

    HJ.
  • kmcarr
    Senior Member
    • May 2008
    • 1181

    #2
    Originally posted by thejustpark View Post
    For example, I found that NR_02784[sic] and NM_013796 refer to the same transcript.
    I am assuming you mean NR_027804 and here is the explanation from the corresponding GeneID entry at NCBI:

    NR_027804.1 RNA Sequence
    Status: VALIDATED

    Description
    Transcript Variant: This variant (2) includes an alternate internal segment, compared to variant 1. This variant is represented as non-coding because the use of the 5'-most supported translational start codon, as used in variant 1, renders the transcript a candidate for nonsense-mediated mRNA decay (NMD).

    Comment

    • thejustpark
      Member
      • Jul 2012
      • 28

      #3
      Thank you kmcarr,

      Yes I meant NR_027804. Sorry for the typo.
      Thanks for the check on NR_027804.
      It seems some transcripts can work as either protein-coding or non-coding.
      I should have checked the webpage myself.

      Again, thanks a lot.

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
      0 responses
      12 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      35 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      28 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      48 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...