Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOWTIE input

Does bowtie need to have reads in the standard sanger format or can it accept the default file created from the 1.4 illumina pipeline in which the quals are not standard sanger?

Cheers

L

If you specify '--phred64-quals' or '--solexa1.3-quals' option you can use thos illumina reads without conversion

d

Comment

Just seen it!

Thanks

L

Comment

I try data directlly from solexa without '--phred64-quals' or '--solexa1.3-quals' option. and the output looks well.

Comment

Originally posted by tujchl View Post
          I try data directlly from solexa without '--phred64-quals' or '--solexa1.3-quals' option. and the output looks well.
          Of course you can, but in that case you're probably estimating base qualities in a wrong way... I guess low quality bases are overestimated by a ~1000x factor...

Comment

hi dawe
            thank you for you replying, I just have two more questions
            1. what do you mean by "overestimated by a ~1000x factor", could you please explain in detail?
            2. I just test bowtie and it`s my feeling that bowtie do NOT use quality while running. so the quality control could been done before bowtie.
            Thank you in advance

Comment

hi dawe
              thank you for you replying, I just have two more questions
              1. what do you mean by "overestimated by a ~1000x factor", could you please explain in detail?
              phred-33 and phred-64 scores are different by a 31 offset in ASCII code. As this code is -10log10(p) (plus the offset), a difference in 30 is a difference in 1000x on probability values. The worst illumina score is "@" which means (and correct me if I'm wrong) p = 1. In a Sanger framework 64 is p~0.001 which is 1000x smaller.
              For qualities in the "mid-range" the difference is not relevant.

2. I just test bowtie and it`s my feeling that bowtie do NOT use quality while running. so the quality control could been done before bowtie.
              That's probably because you have lot of good quality reads, AFAIK bowtie uses qualities (I wonder why Ben included the phred33/phred64 option after all).

Comment

From looking into Bowtie's defaults --phred33 -quals is "on" and hence assumes you are providing reads in the standard sanger format (phred33). If you are providing data with quality scores in phred64 you should specify --phred64 -quals which is "off" by default. --solexa1.3 -quals is a good option which assumes you are providing unconverted data from the solexa GA 1.3 pipeline or later.

Alternatively you could use maq to convert the reads from phred64 to phred33 and simply put this through bowtie using bowtie's defaults!

Hope this helps

L

p.s A slight digression - I cannot unzip the hg18 version of the pre-built index h_sapiens_asm.ebwt.zip. I tried both part 1, part 2 and the entire genome, but I get an error saying
                End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
                a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.

Any ideas?

Comment

thank you dawe:
                  tow more questions:
                  1. accordding to your words, Can I consider that bowtie indeed ues the quality and filter some reads that can not pass?
                  2. where can I get the ASCII code of phred64 and phred33?

and thank Layla for your suggestions and poster this thread
                  I build my human genome index by myself for I don`t have so powerful computer that I build index chr by chr and run chr by chr ........

Comment

Originally posted by Layla View Post
                    p.s A slight digression - I cannot unzip the hg18 version of the pre-built index h_sapiens_asm.ebwt.zip. I tried both part 1, part 2 and the entire genome, but I get an error saying
                    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
                    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.

Any ideas?
                    Try to index your own genome. I'm dowloading the ebwt right now but it will take more than indexing (at least here...).
                    BTW, you should ask bowtie webmaster the md5sum for the zip files.

Comment

1. accordding to your words, Can I consider that bowtie indeed ues the quality and filter some reads that can not pass?
                      You should ask bowtie developers, but AFAIK bowtie doesn't apply quality filters *before* the alignment. Base quality is used at alignment time to score mismatches.

Code:
                      man ascii
                      look at the decimal set.

Comment

perl script comparison table

If you run the perl code below, you'll see a table with a comparison.

Code:
                        #!/usr/bin/env perl
                        ################################################
                        # prints a table with phred, ASCII, phred+33, phred+64, p
                        ################################################
                        use strict;
                        use warnings;

my @phreds = (0..62);
                        my $step = 2;

printf "%6s  %6s  %6s  %6s  %10s\n", 'phred', 'ASCII', 'Ill33', 'Ill64', 'p'; 

for (my $i = 0; $i < @phreds; $i+=$step ){
                           my $phred = $phreds[$i];
                           printf "%6d  %6d  %6s  %6s  %10f\n", $phred, $phred+64, chr($phred+33), chr($phred+64), phred2p($phred);
                        }

sub phred2p{
                           return 10 ** (-(shift) / 10.0 );
                        }

Comment

Thank all of you, I learned lots from you.
                          and two more questions:
                          1. when I used data directly from solexa as bowtie input, should I specify "--phred64" or "--solexa1.3" or both?
                          2. when I used option "--concise" to save my disk space and the output is like this
                          1-:<0,2852852,1>
                          and there is 0 other than my ref_index name !!! (I build my ref_index chr by chr and run bowtie chr by chr as well), could you please tell me how to get my ref_index name?
                          (ref_index name such as "chr1" wiil be back if I run bowtie without --concise ).

Comment

Thank all of you, I learned lots from you.
                            and two more questions:
                            1. when I used data directly from solexa as bowtie input, should I specify "--phred64" or "--solexa1.3" or both?
                            As stated in the bowtie help

Code:
                            --phred64-quals    input quals are Phred+64 (same as --solexa1.3-quals)
                            They are synonyms.

2. when I used option "--concise" to save my disk space and the output is like this
                            1-:<0,2852852,1>
                            Sorry, I can't help. To save space and get valuable information from my results I keep all in BAM format (directly from bowtie output).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses