Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sequence-formatted file (.seq)

How to obtain sequence-formatted file (.seq) from fas/fastq ?
    I need the Arabidopsis Chromosome in seq format in order to use it in a pipeline for experiments

Do you have any example files to look at, or more information about what this sequence-formatted file (.seq) means?

I would guess they just mean a FASTA file using the extension *.seq instead of *.fasta, *.fas, etc.

Comment

The example files that i have are in seq format and i cant open them!for example chr1.seq chr2.seq etc
      I guess the same . Do you know any editor for Linux to convert Fastq in seq?

Comment

I think that the point Peter was making is: "What are .seq files?" These are not a common standard file. In order for us to help you, please give us an example of what you want and/or the name of the program of that wants these .seq files.

Comment

.seq files should just be fasta formatted sequence files.

If distant memory serves me right then they used to be produced from ABI sequence files when an external basecaller was used.

zisis86: Can you tell us what it is that you are exactly trying to do?

Note (looked this up): When ABI SCF files were processed with Phread, a .seq and a corresponding .qual files were produced.
          Last edited by GenoMax; 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Sanger sequencing cores often return a .seq and an .ab1 file. So the .seq is just a plain text version of the sequence.

I don't think there are any rules about what a .seq has to look like, but they are almost certainly just text files, and you could open them in anything that can read text.

Comment

Well i am trying to use this toolhttp://compgenomics.weizmann.ac.il/tanay/?page_id=367\ . It's a tool for analyzing 4C-seq experiments, including sequence extraction, mapping, normalization. I tried the example that this tool provides and i did it but it is complicated when you want to use another data set . For example i want to use data from Arabidopsis chromosome. In order to be able to run the experiments and the steps of this tool you need to have yous files at first at seq format. Also you have to convert fastq files in raw files etc. If you check this link there is a manual of the tool.

thank you

Comment

Having a look at the manual, ..
                [...] the pipeline uses .seq files (note: these are distinct from fasta files) [...]
                The chromosome seq files are just the plain sequence itself on one line, no header, no newlines.

Conversion of fastq data is documented.

Comment

Thanks for the help.I think the same.
                  Is it possible to create a script in perl or other language to do this job? to read the lines from the fastq file and to write in another file on one line. Any ideas?

Comment

Lots of possible code ranging from complex and error-proof to simple and prone to error. Probably tons of pre-written programs as well. But since you asked, here is a nice cryptic perl script

perl -pe 'BEGIN{<>}; print $_; <>;<>;<>;' < input_file > output_file

Comment

Originally posted by zisis86 View Post
                      Thanks for the help.I think the same.
                      Is it possible to create a script in perl or other language to do this job? to read the lines from the fastq file and to write in another file on one line. Any ideas?
                      Your reference data is fastq-formatted? If you talk about the read data, then you need to convert to "raw" format, described in "3.2 Converting fastq files to “raw” format".

And, .. just to add another one ;-)

perl -lne 'print if(($.+2)%4==0)' input_file > output_file

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses