Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • genomeHunter
    Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 26

    #16
    Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
    Try to run the "configuration-assistant.perl" that is present in the "bin" directory.

    While you are running the perl script you will reach a point where the software asks you "Would you like to test SRA files for remote reference dependencies? [y/N]". Choose "Yes" (default answer is No) which will then prompt you to provide an SRA accession number. Try providing the SRA# you are having problems with and see if the script downloads the right reference files.

    Try "fastq-dump"ing that SRA file.

    There is also a possibility that some SRA files may be corrupt or otherwise problematic (happened with one I was interested in). You may want to ask SRA support to check on the problematic accession #'s.
    I have tried everything, in every forum, and in every thread.

    I simply cannot understand why such a presumably simple and tiny application could cause so much headache. It just cannot be solved

    Last thing I tried, without success:

    SRA Tools. Contribute to ncbi/sra-tools development by creating an account on GitHub.


    GH

    Comment

    • genomeHunter
      Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 26

      #17
      Solution

      I think I have finally found the solution!

      Some new SRA files need refseq for dumping. It should be in ~/ncbi/public/refseq (default path). For some reason, my SRA toolkit was unable to download them, so I manually downloaded them from

      ftp://ftp-trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/refseq/

      Try running 'vdb-validate' and 'test-sra +a' to see which sequences you need to download.

      Cheers
      GH

      PS. SRA technical staff are friendly and knowledgable. Contact them if the problem persists! :-)

      Comment

      • giorgifm
        Member
        • Aug 2011
        • 35

        #18
        Guys,

        the problem happens when you use a local path for the SRA file. Try using the absolute path! fastq-dump /data/etc/SRR00000.sra should do the trick

        Comment

        • tman
          Junior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 3

          #19
          I had this issue as well and providing the absolute path was not resolving it. In the end I found that the error (virtual file system) had to do with the machine not having web access. Copying the required reference files into: /yourhomedir/ncbi/public/refseq solved it.

          Comment

          • Nick
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 16

            #20
            Originally posted by genomeHunter View Post
            I think I have finally found the solution!

            Some new SRA files need refseq for dumping. It should be in ~/ncbi/public/refseq (default path). For some reason, my SRA toolkit was unable to download them, so I manually downloaded them from

            ftp://ftp-trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/refseq/

            Try running 'vdb-validate' and 'test-sra +a' to see which sequences you need to download.

            Cheers
            GH

            PS. SRA technical staff are friendly and knowledgable. Contact them if the problem persists! :-)
            This finally worked for me. The home mounted via NFS was not an issue. I also discovered that trying to change the default ncbi directory caused a lot issues, as a ~/ncbi directory was created after adding an encrypted repository. That is also where the refseq files have to go, even if the root is elsewhere. Basically leave the ncbi root in your home directory, and add the refseq files there.

            Comment

            • kmkocot
              Member
              • Jun 2009
              • 51

              #21
              I was having the same issue. Specifying the full path worked for me too. Thanks!

              Kevin

              Comment

              • Richard Finney
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 701

                #22
                This is an ongoing case study in why you should just stick with sftp and gzip.

                A camel is a horse designed by a committee and this SRA compression and decryption is a real camel.

                Comment

                • Rhewter
                  Member
                  • Sep 2014
                  • 10

                  #23
                  Solve the problem

                  Originally posted by ALB_1 View Post
                  Hi there, I am trying to use fastq-dump on an sra file downloaded from NCBI GEO and keep getting the error message:

                  err: name not found while resolving tree within virtual file system module - failed to open 'SRRfilenamehere'
                  Written 0 spots total

                  I downloaded the correct version and have used this toolkit successfully on other computers. Could it be an installation issue? Thank you!
                  Try "fastq-dump --split-files ./library.sra".


                  It is works.

                  Comment

                  • sciseim
                    Junior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 3

                    #24
                    vdb-config --restore-defaults works (I used v2.5.2)

                    Comment

                    Latest Articles

                    Collapse

                    • SEQadmin2
                      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                      by SEQadmin2


                      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                      ...
                      Today, 10:25 AM
                    • SEQadmin2
                      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                      by SEQadmin2




                      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                    ad_right_rmr

                    Collapse

                    News

                    Collapse

                    Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                    0 responses
                    27 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post SEQadmin2  
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                    0 responses
                    24 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post SEQadmin2  
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                    1 response
                    46 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post pekgio
                    by pekgio
                     
                    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                    1 response
                    55 views
                    0 reactions
                    Last Post pekgio
                    by pekgio
                     
                    Working...