Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • utagenomics
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 4

    #1

    Making a Blast Script for FASTA files

    Hi I am trying to BLAST one large genome file with a specific set of sequences and I cannot figure out what is wrong with my script (I am obviously new to scripting). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    This is my script:

    -in P.reformat.CDS.transcripts.fa -out p.full dbtype=nucl

    blastn -query=NGF.fasta -db=p.full -outfmt="6" -out=blast


    I want to search the "P.reformat.CDS.transcripts.fa" file for anything similar to the sequences in the "NGF.fasta" file.
  • GenoMax
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 7142

    #2
    Are you referring to a script (that may contain multiple lines of code/options) or a command line where you are providing multiple options?

    What you have posted above does not quite look like either (perhaps there is something missing from the copy/paste). Seems like you are creating the database on the first line and the searching on the second?

    What seems to be the error (if any) that you are getting? Are you sure the database was created successfully?
    Last edited by GenoMax; 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM.

    Comment

    • Ciaran
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 9

      #3
      In your blast call you do not need the "=" characters

      Comment

      • utagenomics
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2013
        • 4

        #4
        Hey everyone,

        So I successfully made my database in the correct folder, but then when I actually try to run my blast, it isn't working...

        #I used the following to make the db

        makeblastdb -in supercontigs.fasta.txt -dbtype 'nucl' -out p.full

        #I then tried to run this the next step, with and without the '=' sign

        query=NGF.fasta -db=p.full -outfmt="6" -out=blast

        Any ideas how I can change my second step to successfully run the blast search?

        Thanks,
        Kyle

        Comment

        • mastal
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 666

          #5
          Making a Blast Script for FASTA files

          Have a look at the blast commandline applications manual,



          particularly the sample queries in the Cookbook section,

          and the use of the 'blastdbcmd' command for checking that
          the database you created is OK, and that your computer knows
          where to find the blast databases.

          Comment

          • kbradnam
            Member
            • May 2011
            • 54

            #6
            It always helps to provide the error message that you get when something "isn't working". The more information you provide, the more likely that someone can help you.

            Comment

            • utagenomics
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2013
              • 4

              #7
              When I posted the above command to run the blast search I received the following error message.


              Command line argument error: Argument "out". File is not accessible: `blast'

              Comment

              • kbradnam
                Member
                • May 2011
                • 54

                #8
                This suggests that you might not have permission to create output files in whatever directory you are running this command in.

                Comment

                • GenoMax
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 7142

                  #9
                  Originally posted by utagenomics View Post
                  When I posted the above command to run the blast search I received the following error message.


                  Command line argument error: Argument "out". File is not accessible: `blast'
                  Check the command line examples from the link Maria posted in #5.

                  Please post the entire command line when asking for help. So something like this will work.

                  Code:
                  blast(n/p/x) -query NGF.fasta -db p.full -outfmt 6 -out blast_output_file
                  What kind (nucleotide/protein/translated) of blast search are you trying to run?

                  Comment

                  Latest Articles

                  Collapse

                  • SEQadmin2
                    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                    by SEQadmin2


                    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                    ...
                    Today, 10:25 AM
                  • SEQadmin2
                    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                    by SEQadmin2




                    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                  ad_right_rmr

                  Collapse

                  News

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                  0 responses
                  27 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  24 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                  1 response
                  45 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                  1 response
                  55 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Working...