Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BayesCall -- has anyone tried it?

Has anyone had success trying out BayesCall? I'm wondering if it's worth benchmarking ...

Genome Res. 2009 Oct;19(10):1884-95. Epub 2009 Aug 6.
    BayesCall: A model-based base-calling algorithm for high-throughput short-read sequencing.
    Kao WC, Stevens K, Song YS.

(available here):
    Last edited by jnfass; 11-25-2009, 11:59 AM. Reason: wrong name in title (BayesCall, not BayesCaller)

I installed BayesCall, I am able to install all the prerequisites as well as BayesCall. The first part EM.py starts but I am stuck at multiple runtime erros in the python scripts. Anyone succeeded in properly running the program?

Comment

BayesCall -- has anyone tried it?

Originally posted by mehdik View Post
      I installed BayesCall, I am able to install all the prerequisites as well as BayesCall. The first part EM.py starts but I am stuck at multiple runtime errors in the python scripts. Anyone succeeded in properly running the program?
      Not yet but it will be good to compare notes.
      I downloaded version BayesCall 0.3, compiled it with GSL 0.13. Run into:

===
      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "EM.py", line 557, in <module>
      if any(all(array(intensity)<=0.1, 1)):
      File "/soft/general/python-2.5.2/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/fromnumeric.py",
      line 1422, in all
      return all(axis, out)
      ValueError: axis(=1) out of bounds
      ===

Got a hint from BayesCall Authors that I should convert my cif files to txt using cif2txt.
      Found it here:

edited it a bit, then did the conversion. At this moment I am running since 20+mins:

python EM.py -u 4 --seq_len 36 test_100104/091220_11AB2AABB_out/s_4_0*int.txt

and it produces a bunch of *_int.mat files.

So I will keep you posted how it went. Did you passed that stage and got errors afterwards?

Darek Kedra

PS I have:
      Python 2.5.2,
      * print numpy.__version__
      * print scipy.__version__
      0.7.1rc2

on 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Hello,

Were you able to run BayesCall correctly? Also, do you keep using it and what is your experience vs the different SolexaPipeline versions?

Thank you,
        Leonardo
        L. Collado Torres, Ph.D. student in Biostatistics.

Comment

Hi Leonardo,

I've done some testing of BayesCall using text files. Initially I did a couple of tiles and compared the qc metrics of the output. The data was much better using BayesCall. Saying that, our input data is pretty poor, so there is lot of room for improvement. Original data was GAIIx using Illumina RTA image processing and pipeline 1.5.1. What you will notice is that it takes a while, i.e. the parameter estimation took several hours (depends on the number of tiles you use), but the base calling itself (since v0.3 using naive basecaller) is fairly quick on a Nehalem 8-core. Our data (2x76 PE run) improved from median Phred = 20 up to base 53 to median Phred = 21 up to last base. So I would say its definitely worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by zero View Post
            Hi Leonardo,

I've done some testing of BayesCall using text files. Initially I did a couple of tiles and compared the qc metrics of the output. The data was much better using BayesCall. Saying that, our input data is pretty poor, so there is lot of room for improvement. Original data was GAIIx using Illumina RTA image processing and pipeline 1.5.1. What you will notice is that it takes a while, i.e. the parameter estimation took several hours (depends on the number of tiles you use), but the base calling itself (since v0.3 using naive basecaller) is fairly quick on a Nehalem 8-core. Our data (2x76 PE run) improved from median Phred = 20 up to base 53 to median Phred = 21 up to last base. So I would say its definitely worth a try.
            Is the Phred calculated after alignment or are they reported by BayesCall? I would be interested to know if it improves the base error-rate after alignment.

Comment

these scores are from BayesCall itself.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback
                L. Collado Torres, Ph.D. student in Biostatistics.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses