Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jkozubek
    Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 18

    #1

    Allele Distributions

    Hello:

    I found 320 mutations among 16 mouse clones using GATK. However, I noticed something strange. In only 40 of those 0/1 calls are there more reads with the ALT call (1) than reads with the REF call (0). In the vast remainder, 280 mutations I found, the reads that carry the ALT calls are a smaller fraction about 10-40 percent.

    If all my 320 mutations were real, I would expect the REF/ALT distributions to be about equal. If it was true and normally distributed, I'd expect at least 50% of these mutaitons to show up with more ALT calls and 50% to show up with more REF calls. Is it natural to find fewer reads with the ALT call in genuine mutations?

    I was thinking about using the bionomial distribution in Excel to remove these, something like -BINOMDIST(20,100,.50,FALSE) where I found 20 ALT calls with a Depth of 100 and expected to see 50% ALT calls.

    Jim
  • vivek_
    PhD Student
    • Jul 2012
    • 164

    #2
    I can't point to a proper source right away but I remember reading in a publication that the alternate allele fraction for heterozygous calls could be anywhere between 20 - 80% at variation sites.

    Comment

    • jkozubek
      Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 18

      #3
      I think so too. Still it seems odd that the distribution is lopsided so that many more times its the ALT that is seen in only 20-30% in the reads.

      Comment

      • swbarnes2
        Senior Member
        • May 2008
        • 910

        #4
        Keep in mind that there is some bias towards the reference allele. If your aligner only accepts 3 discrepancies between read and reference, reads matching the reference allele with 1,2 or 3 mistakes will align there, but only reads with 1 or 2 errors will align if they also have the alternate allele.

        You could try aligning to a reference that contains both alleles, see if that fixes things.

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
        0 responses
        10 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        32 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        48 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...