Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it depends: on ubuntu I get an (boost) error, pthread_mutex_lock(m). strace tells me that this is probably related to memory allocation. On our server systems (home made linux), isaac-align hangs at "Determining memory capacity for Fastq data" and is waiting forever :-) Again, some problem with memory allocation!?

And it is always an issue that you never get "understandable & and error related error messages" with illumina (unix) software :-)

Comment

These options are from the previous version but I assume they are still there in the latest. In case they are not let us know.

Have you tried the -m option and specified a memory limit? This needs to be at least 48G for a human data set.

Also -j should probably be set to match the options below (6 or 8).

Also these options are important:

--input-parallel-load arg (=64) Maximum number of parallel file read operations for --base-calls
      --temp-parallel-load arg (=8) Maximum number of parallel file read operations for --temp-directory
      --input-parallel-load try setting this to 6 or 8 (n-2 cores based on what you have). With HAS this option turns out to be critical to prevent the app from completely overloading the server (default value of 64 is very high). Adjust the temp-parallel-load to match.
      Last edited by GenoMax; 09-09-2014, 05:25 AM.

Comment

My initial call was:
        isaac-align --base-calls $(pwd) --base-calls-format fastq-gz --default-adapters Standard --memory-limit 64 --reference-genome $(pwd)/../iSAACIndex.PhiX.20140901/sorted-reference.xml --verbosity 3
        The parameter you mentioned have some reasonable default values .. nevertheless, specifying both on the command line just results in the same effect: stuck at "Determining memory capacity for Fastq data" :-(

Concerning the memory limit I have tried some values between 4 and 128GB ..

Comment

This command seems to be working with latest iSAAC (no errors and there is regular progress). Full job completion could take 24 h (or more). Example tried is human data.

BTW: The -m default option now looks set to 0, which means no limit .

Code:
          $ isaac-align --base-calls /path_to_Flowcell_ID/Data/Intensities/BaseCalls/ --base-calls-format bcl --default-adapters Standard -m 48 -j 6 --reference-genome /path_to/ISAAC_genomes/hg19/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/IsaacIndex/sorted-reference.xml --verbosity 3 --input-parallel-load 6 --temp-parallel-load 6

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            This command seems to be working with latest iSAAC (no errors and there is regular progress). Full job completion could take 24 h (or more). Example tried is human data.

BTW: The -m default option now looks set to 0, which means no limit .

Code:
            $ isaac-align --base-calls /path_to_Flowcell_ID/Data/Intensities/BaseCalls/ --base-calls-format bcl --default-adapters Standard -m 48 -j 6 --reference-genome /path_to/ISAAC_genomes/hg19/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/IsaacIndex/sorted-reference.xml --verbosity 3 --input-parallel-load 6 --temp-parallel-load 6
            Interesting :-) I just used a run folder as input, just as you did, and it seems to work ..
            I have a PhiX run, shouldn't take too long though. So there is something fishy with the fastq input ...

I'll report back tomorrow, when the alignment has (hopefully) finished.
            It is not really a soulution (for me) to use the BCLs but may server as a basis for a bug report ..

Comment

Fastq seems to be working as well. You have to sym link the fastq files as indicated on this help page: https://github.com/sequencing/test/b...down/manual.md. Check the fastq.gz examples.

Here is the command that is working for a single end fastq.

Code:
              $ isaac-align --base-calls /path_to/Fastq --base-calls-format fastq-gz --default-adapters Standard -m 48 -j 6 --reference-genome /path_to/ISAAC_genomes/hg19/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/IsaacIndex/sorted-reference.xml --verbosity 3 --input-parallel-load 6 --temp-parallel-load 6

Comment

Well, I tested it on my ubuntu notebook (freshly compiled isaac-align and ref sequence), and there it now runs just fine (both bcl and fastq input). No idea what went wrong before ..

But on our linux the problem still remains; even the bcl input mapping process gets stuck (very late). So I will investigate why it fails to properly run on our linux.

Comment

In my case it is a cluster running Rocks v.5.3.

Comment

Problem found and solved (for now). We were using glibc 2.15 on our systems. With this version of glibc memory allocation seems to fail (for unknown reasons). With glibc 2.19 issac-aligner works just fine. Took some time .. :-)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                    0 responses