No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcftools command not found

Hi, All,

I am trying to generate a consensus sequence using samtools. And I used the command as follow:

samtools mpileup -uf ref.fa aln.bam | bcftools view -cg - | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq >cns.fq

But I get the error:

-bash: bcftools: command not found
    Use of uninitialized value $l in numeric lt (<) at /Users/samtools-0.1.19/For consensus sequence/vcfutils.pl line 545.
    Use of uninitialized value $l in numeric lt (<) at /Users/samtools-0.1.19/For consensus sequence/vcfutils.pl line 545.

I saw bcftools sub-file in samtools file, but there is no bcftools file in the sub-file. Could anyone tell me what is wrong?

Best,

Sadiexiaoyu

It appears that the directory containing samtools programs is not in default $PATH.

Have you tried to provide full file system path to the "bcftools" program in the above command?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      It appears that the directory containing samtools programs is not in default $PATH.

Have you tried to provide full file system path to the "bcftools" program in the above command?
      Hi, GenoMax,

Yes, I tried. I build PATH first to go to samtools directory. And I also tried to build PATH to go to bcftools sub file. But neither worked out...

Comment

Originally posted by sadiexiaoyu View Post
        Hi, GenoMax,

Yes, I tried. I build PATH first to go to samtools directory. And I also tried to build PATH to go to bcftools sub file. But neither worked out...
        What version of samtools are you using? What do you mean by sub-file?

Can you post the output of

Code:
        $ echo $PATH
        and

Code:
        $ which samtools
        $ which bcftools

Comment

Seems vcfutils.pl isn't part of samtools / bcftools 19... (it was present in release 18). Has it been wrapped into some other script or options for bcftools itself?

Cheers,
          Homepage: Dan Bolser
          MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

vcfutils.pl is in a directory called "bcftools" inside the main samtools directory.

Comment

Thanks GenoMax, for some reason it's missing in this 'systems' install (bcftools is an exe, not a dir), but I see it when I re-download here:
              SAM (Sequence Alignment/Map) is a flexible generic format for storing nucleotide sequence alignment. SAMtools provide efficient utilities on…

I notice that it's the same file in release 18 and 19.
              Homepage: Dan Bolser
              MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses