Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blastn output retrieve sequence

Hello, is there an easy way to retrieve the sequences from the hits in the blastn output? I just need the sequences without the gap insertions "-". Thank you.

Look at the "blastdbcmd" program examples on this page. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NB...BLAST_search_r .. if you are looking to retrieve the subject sequences.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Thank you GenoMax. I tried using blastdbcmd but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working as described on that page.

I have downloaded the Gallus 4 genome from NCBI and ran makeblastdb using blast+ 2.2.25. When I run:
      blastdbcmd -db gga_ref_Gallus_gallus-4.0_all.db -entry all | grep ">" | head
      I get:
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|0 gi|358485511|ref|NC_006088.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 1, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|1 gi|358485510|ref|NC_006089.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 2, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|2 gi|358485509|ref|NC_006090.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 3, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|3 gi|358485508|ref|NC_006091.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 4, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|4 gi|358485507|ref|NC_006092.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 5, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|5 gi|358485506|ref|NC_006093.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 6, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|6 gi|358485505|ref|NC_006094.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 7, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|7 gi|358485504|ref|NC_006095.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 8, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|8 gi|358485503|ref|NC_006096.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 9, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence
      >gnl|BL_ORD_ID|9 gi|358485502|ref|NC_006097.3| Gallus gallus breed Red Jungle fowl, inbred line UCD001 chromosome 10, Gallus_gallus-4.0, whole genome shotgun sequence

But when I try running:
      blastdbcmd -db gga_ref_Gallus_gallus-4.0_all.db -entry 358485511

I get:
      Error: 358485511: OID not found
      BLAST query/options error: Entry not found in BLAST database

The entry seems to be there so why can't blastdbcmd recognize it when I try to query it?

Comment

Did you run makeblastdb with '-parse_deflines' ?
        savetherhino.org

Comment

Ok I just ran makeblastdb with the -parse_seqids option and it works now. What is the difference between parse_seqids and parse_deflines?

Comment

Originally posted by rkizen View Post
            Ok I just ran makeblastdb with the -parse_seqids option and it works now. What is the difference between parse_seqids and parse_deflines?
            Sorry, -parse_seqids is the flag I was thinking..
            savetherhino.org

Comment

See http://blastedbio.blogspot.jp/2012/1...cbi-blast.html for my thoughts on the difference between the NCBI style IDs and free-format user provided identifiers (and the problems using them with blastdbcmd).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
                by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
                09-09-2024, 10:59 AM
              • seqadmin
                Addressing Off-Target Effects in CRISPR Technologies
                by seqadmin

The first FDA-approved CRISPR-based therapy marked the transition of therapeutic gene editing from a dream to reality1. CRISPR technologies have streamlined gene editing, and CRISPR screens have become an important approach for identifying genes involved in disease processes2. This technique introduces targeted mutations across numerous genes, enabling large-scale identification of gene functions, interactions, and pathways3. Identifying the full range...
                08-27-2024, 04:44 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:25 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 01:02 PM
              0 responses