Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some probably very stupid questions on ray meta

Sorry, apparently the following points are obvious to everyone but i am alittle at loss.
    I want to test ray meta for metagenome assemblies and compare it to Meta-Velvet.

Apparently Ray Meta differs from the original Ray (citation from the respective paper by Boisvert et al, 2012: "The algorithms implemented in the software Ray were heavily modified for metagenome de novo assembly and these changes were called Ray Meta.")

The Ray Manual states that you should use "Ray vanilla" for single genome assemblies and "Ray Meta" for metagenomes. However then it never mentions "vanilla" or "meta" or even "metagenomes" anymore.

What is the difference between "Ray vanilla" and "Ray meta"?
    Are they two different programs? (I could only find downloads for Ray).
    Are they two seperate modules that are included with Ray? (Then which parameters do I have to give to use Ray Meta and not Ray Vanilla?)

It sounds like a very promising alternative to Meta-Velvet but the manual is just not clear enough for my dumb brain.

It's not a stupid question, I have been wondering the same thing.

I think Ray Meta is just Ray with the taxonomy and biological abundance options activated.

Comment

It's not a stupid quetions. I had the similar question and asked the author in the email: "Dear authors: I found Ray use same command for single genome assembly and metagenomics assembly. But how does ray know the data is metagenomics or single genome sample?"

Their response:
      Ray 2 (2.0.0, 2.1.0, 2.2.0) is an improvement over the older Ray 1 in the sense that the algorithms are generalized to work on both genomes and metagenomes.
      In our paper http://genomebiology.com/2012/13/12/R122 , we explained how we did it. You can read more about that in the Materials and methods. Ray Meta is really just a workflow for metagenome assembly provided by the Ray 2.x.y series. Also, Ray Communities allows you to profile gene ontologies and taxons in your sample. This is also part of Ray 2.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses