Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Samtools woes on mac

Okay, I finally got samtools installed (or so I think.) after downloading Xcode, and getting the make command to work. But now when I try to use samtools, I keep getting:

"-bash: samtools: command not found"

several people had recommended adding the ./ before samtools to get it to work, but when I do that, I get this:

"-bash: ./samtools: No such file or directory"

So what's the deal?
    I need to be in the directory where samtools was installed, correct? so

"cd XXXXX" where XXXXX is the directory that samtools was "make" into, then
    "./samtools faidx /Users/2/PGSC_DM_v3_2.1.11_pseudomolecules.fasta"

This should compile an index using the .fasta file correct? Where am I going wrong here?
    I'm losing my mind here. I obviously don't have any UNIX background, but I get the jist, so if you could explain it too me as if I was your grandmother, that would really help.
    Thanks guys, this website has already been so helpful.

Just to confirm that you have built samtools correctly do this:

"cd XXXXX" where XXXXX is the directory that samtools was "make" into
    and run the following command and post the output here

Code:
    $ pwd
    $ ls -lt
    As long as "samtools" was correctly built the following command will work.

Code:
    $ /[COLOR="Red"]replace_with_output_from_pwd_command_above[/COLOR]/samtools faidx /User/2/PGSC_DM_v3_2.1.11_pseudomolecules.fasta
    You can either go to the directory where you have samtools installed or you can run any of these programs from any other directory on your machine as long as you provide correct full (or relative) file paths.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

If you have anyone locally in IT, you might just offer to buy him/her a beer or coffee for a quick bit of help. It'll make your life a bit easier going forward

Comment

Okay, I just cleared everything out of my folders, and made a new one, downloaded samtools again, made it again, and it seems to be working. Now I am just waiting on it to sort. Must have been a weird pathing thing... Seems to me all Unix problems are pathing related. Thank you for your help, and ON TO THE NEXT PROBLEM!! (Tablet)

Comment

Next you'll

Code:
          cd to bamtools
          pwd
          cd
          nano .bash_profile
          and add the line
          Code:
          export PATH=/thePathPwdGave/samtools:${PATH}
          and save

and then you can 'samtools' from wherever in terminal.

Learning to add programs into your path (as above) is highly recommend..
          savetherhino.org

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
            by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
            05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
          • seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 02:46 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 05-07-2024, 06:57 AM
          0 responses