Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use 454 data to aid Illumina assembly?

Hi there,
    I'm working on an eukaryot and we have Illumina and 454 data.
    After many hybrid assembly approaches a "simple" Allpaths-LG assembly of the Illumina data yielded the best results.
    I also tried (hybrid) approaches with Newbler, CLC bio's assembly cell, SOAPdenovo and MIRA.

After the finished Allpaths-LG assembly I used a script that mapped the 454 data on the scaffolds and looked for overlaps on either end of a gap (a stretch of Ns). This gap was closed or shortened, whenever possible.
    The results were better, but only very marginal.

Any other ideas how I could improve the result and find a good way of incorporating the 454 data?

Thanks

Any idea on this topic?

Thanks

Comment

My experience is over a year old, but I never had much luck incorporating 454 data into Illumina data. Oh, it can be done and the results might be a tiny bit better but generally it isn't worth the effort. It is possible that other people have had the same experience which might explain the lack of responses to your post.

Comment

Hm,
        maybe I'm just out of luck. But I can't seem to find a good way of incorporating the data.
        Thanks for your reply though, Rick.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses