No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwa-mem paired reads problem

Hi,

I have aligned several re-sequenced individuals (Illumina HiSeq, paired-end with IS ~450bp) to a draft assembly, and when looking at the alignments in IGV, it seemed like almost all of them had their mate mapped on a different scaffold.

I extracted some read pairs from the bam file and got this weired result:
    HWI-ST0866:1861D42ACXX:2:1313:18722:3523 pR1 scaffold37985 44312 60 100M scaffold54822 4963 0 AATAAATCTACCCCAGCCAGCCTAAAGCCACTCCCTCCTGTCCCATCACTTCATGCCTTTTCACAAAGTCCCTTCTCAGCCTTTTTGCAGCAGCAATCAG @BCFDDFFHHHHHJJIIIFIIJIIJGIGDIIIJJJJIJI<BGHIFJIJJIIJIIJJJJHIJJCE;CDHCC?CCEHFEFFFFE3>@CDDDDDB@DBDACCD NM:i:0 AS:i:100 XS:i:0
    HWI-ST0866:1861D42ACXX:2:1313:18722:3523 prR2 scaffold37985 44635 60 100M scaffold39009 30358 0 TGAAGGGTTAAAAACACATGGAGCCAGCATGTTCTGATCACTGAGAAACAACACTGTGAATCAGCACAGCAGCAAATGGGAGTGACAGGCACTGGAGATG CDDBACEECDECCBFFHFHHHIJIJIGIJIJJJJJJIHHIJJJJJIJIHDDHGIHIGIIGDJJIJJIIIIGIFJJJJJJJJJJJJJJHHHHGFFFFFCCC NM:i:1 AS:i:95 XS:i:0

The first read in the pair is located on scaffold37985 and says it has its mate on scaffold54822, but when looking at the mate (second line) it's also located on scaffold37985, but reports to have a mate on scaffold39009!
    To me this seems so wrong, why can't they just form a proper pair, when they obviously have perfect matches close to each other on the same scaffold??? Am I missing something here?

I ran bwa mem on 8 cores with otherwise default settings :
    bwa mem -t 8 reference readfile1.fastq readfile2.fastq >out.sam

Any input on this would be much appreciated!
    Linnéa

Hi Linnea,
    Are you sure these are the only two mappings of this fragment? Could you post the results of

grep -w "HWI-ST0866:1861D42ACXX:2:1313:18722:3523" file.bam
    Please answer my unsolved question - http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33740

Comment

Thanks for your reply, actually that was the result from grep.. so no other mappings.

However, I think I've just found the problem anyway.. When I checked if the fastq files were sorted properly, I used "head" and "less", and all the read names looked the same between the two files, but checking the line numbers for the pair above showed that they are in fact not on the same line. Turned out that while the beginning of the files were nicely sorted, the rest are not

So no problem with bwa mem, only with my data!
      Now I only need to figure out how the h* that could happen...

Sorry for posting!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses