No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast Database selection

Database selection:

What is the difference of the database 'Nucleotide collection (nr/nt)' and 'NCBI Genome (Chromosome)'?

Thanks?

Originally posted by arkilis View Post
    Database selection:

What is the difference of the database 'Nucleotide collection (nr/nt)' and 'NCBI Genome (Chromosome)'?

Thanks?
    nr/nt is is all entries from traditional divisions of GenBank, EMBL, and DDBJ excluding gss, sts, pat, est, htg, and wgs.

Before today I had never head of "NCBI Genome (Chromosome)". I suspect it's a subset of nt that only includes sequences from "fully" sequenced chromosomes. Refseq_genomic would then be a subset of "NCBI Genome (Chromosome)" only including sequences with "refseq" status.

That's my guess..

edit. I'm probably wrong..

Title:Nucleotide collection (nt)
    Description:The nucleotide collection consists of GenBank+EMBL+DDBJ+PDB+RefSeq sequences, but excludes EST, STS, GSS, WGS, TSA, patent sequences as well as phase 0, 1, and 2 HTGS sequences. The database is partially non-redundant. In some cases identical sequences have been merged into one entry, while preserving the accession, GI, title and taxonomy information for each entry. Merged sequences include GenBank and RefSeq entries with identical sequences. Sequences added to the database since April, 2011 have also been merged with identical existing entries.
    Molecule Type:mixed DNA
    Update date:2013/09/19
    Number of sequences:19746987
    Title:NCBI Chromosome Sequences
    Molecule Type:Genomic
    Update date:2013/09/16
    Number of sequences:37566
    Title:NCBI Genomic Reference Sequences
    Molecule Type:mixed DNA
    Update date:2013/08/12
    Number of sequences:3149238
    Last edited by rhinoceros; 09-19-2013, 11:04 PM.
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
      nr/nt is is all entries from traditional divisions of GenBank, EMBL, and DDBJ excluding gss, sts, pat, est, htg, and wgs.

Before today I had never head of "NCBI Genome (Chromosome)". I suspect it's a subset of nt that only includes sequences from "fully" sequenced chromosomes. Refseq_genomic would then be a subset of "NCBI Genome (Chromosome)" only including sequences with "refseq" status.

That's my guess..

edit. I'm probably wrong..

Thanks, you are really helpful.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses