Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stats question about DESeq

It may be a slightly outdated question now that GLM-based testing is preferred to the exact test, but I'm just very curious...

In the 2010 Genome Biology paper (http://genomebiology.com/2010/11/10/r106), formula 14 describes how in the negative binomial test, variance of condition A is estimated under the null hypothesis of the equality of per-condition means:

σˆ2_{A} = ∑{all_j∈A} [ s{j}*q0+s{j}ˆ2 * v{A}(q0) ],

where:
    ∑{all_j∈A} is the sum across all samples in condition A,
    s{j} are scaling factors for each of these samples,
    q0 is the pooled mean estimate,
    v{A} is the raw variance estimate for condition A given the mean.

However, looking at the DESeq code, I'm not sure v{A} is actually estimated based on q0. Rather, it seems to me it is estimated based on q{A} - the observed mean of counts for condition A.

Am I getting it wrong or there have been some changes that I'm not aware of?

Thanks very much!

If I am still read my old code correctly, then the variance-mean relation for condition A is fitted by a local regression of the per-gene variances onto the mean of the counts only from condition A (in the code for the estimateDispersion method, 'if' clause for 'per-condition': bmv$baseMean, where bmv is calculated from only the columns for the current condition), but to get the fitted value, this function is then evaluated for the overall mean (in the code: overall_basemeans). This is consistent with what we wrote in the paper, I think.

However, in DESeq2, we now dropped the "per-condition" mode, because it was a bit difficult to reconcile with our general improvements to the dispersion estimation.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply Simon!

Comment

Sorry, one more question... Am I right then that for sharing mode == "maximum" and method == "per-condition", the maximum is computed between the fitted SCV given the overall mean and the observed SCV given the mean for a given condition?

Many thanks!
        Last edited by a11msp; 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Just looked through my code again. Yes, this is what I've put there. The reason, If I remember correctly, had something to do with the handling of zeroes.

Comment

OK, thanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses