X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whataBamBam
    replied
    Hang on..

I thought MAKER was just for ab initio. You can use that to bring together ESTs and RNA-Seq data too?

That's what I have. I'm just mapping my transcripts to the ESTs at the moment

Leave a comment:

• marct
    replied
    I am joining this project somewhat in the middle of the process.

From my understanding, the initial Maker run was ab initio only, we do not have ESTs or RNA-seq data to add to the pipeline. So while important, the SNAP/Augustus etc gene calls from Maker should constitute one line of evidence for our annotations, while direct alignment of homologous proteins coupled with splice-site detection (a la exonerate) should constitute another, homology-based line of evidence.

Stop me if I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• AdrianP
    replied
    How come the functions of MAKER were not sufficient for your analysis?

Leave a comment:

• marct
    replied
    Thanks for the reply. As of this moment I am running genBlast and exonerate as well as the tblastn. In all of these cases, I am using the protein database of the model species as the query and my genomic sequence as the target (or database). I'll let you know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• whataBamBam
    replied
    Originally posted by marct View Post
    First post as a user here, so please go easy on me for lack of due diligence

We have a genome assembled from Illumina data. There is a reference genome of a closely related species (same genus). I downloaded the proteins from this reference genome and sought to map them to our genome using local tblastn, as a homology-based annotation (we also have predicted transcripts from MAKER as an ab initio annotation method).

I have seen this method used in the literature, but all the method descriptions skip an important step - actually physically mapping the best tblastn hits (from whatever criteria) to the genome.

I assume there is some way to convert the blast xml output to an annotation file (GFF or similar) - one that conserves the info from the blast (especially protein name and function). I tried looking into Biopython and BioPerl but could not lay hands on the proper method of doing this.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
    I'm currently doing something similar using gmap.. I have a transcriptmome that I'm mapping to a genome though.. (we assembled the transcriptome and then the genome of a related species was subsequently released) also have ests that I'm mapping to a genome with gmap. Exonerate I believe does a similar job and has a protein matching mode.. Anyway both these programs will output in gff format

Leave a comment:

• marct
    started a topic Genome Annotation Pipeline Help Required

Genome Annotation Pipeline Help Required

First post as a user here, so please go easy on me for lack of due diligence

We have a genome assembled from Illumina data. There is a reference genome of a closely related species (same genus). I downloaded the proteins from this reference genome and sought to map them to our genome using local tblastn, as a homology-based annotation (we also have predicted transcripts from MAKER as an ab initio annotation method).

I have seen this method used in the literature, but all the method descriptions skip an important step - actually physically mapping the best tblastn hits (from whatever criteria) to the genome.

I assume there is some way to convert the blast xml output to an annotation file (GFF or similar) - one that conserves the info from the blast (especially protein name and function). I tried looking into Biopython and BioPerl but could not lay hands on the proper method of doing this.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses