Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sindrle
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 266

    #1

    Cuffdiff time series with two groups

    Hi!
    I have 4 sample groups. Diabetics and healthy at two time point, before and after intervention.

    So, how can I analyse changes in gene expression in the diabetic groups, CONTROLLED for by the healthy group.

    This means I have two discrete groups, but at two timepoint.

    How to tell this to Cuffdiff?

    Thanks!
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #2
    You can't, you'll have to use something else. Cuffdiff is only useful for very basic designs.

    Edit: I should note that you could make the pair-wise comparisons with cuffdiff, but that's not what you want. Give DESeq2/edgeR/limma a try, they're MUCH more flexible.
    Last edited by dpryan; 10-10-2013, 11:46 AM.

    Comment

    • sindrle
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 266

      #3
      Wow. Thats a bummer.

      What do you suggest? Im currently testing EdgeR.

      Comment

      • dpryan
        Devon Ryan
        • Jul 2011
        • 3478

        #4
        I'm quite happy with DESeq2. I've used edgeR again recently but have been a bit unhappy with it calling things significant due simply to an outlier sample (DESeq2 flags these on a per-gene basis, though I've also been bitten by this once in a partial knock-out dataset).

        Comment

        • sindrle
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2013
          • 266

          #5
          Ok, sounds like DESeq is the way to go.

          Thanks a lot!

          Im thinking of running Cuffdiff 2.1.1, EdgeR & DEseq. Then compare everything and decide what to use in the publication.

          Comment

          • dpryan
            Devon Ryan
            • Jul 2011
            • 3478

            #6
            Originally posted by sindrle View Post
            Im thinking of running Cuffdiff 2.1.1, EdgeR & DEseq. Then compare everything and decide what to use in the publication.
            I suspect that's a pretty common route people take. Just make sure to validate a few candidates and then base your tool of choice on that rather than simply which gives the bigger list of DE genes!

            Comment

            • sindrle
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 266

              #7
              Thanks for the advice!
              Any suggestion on candidates btw? I already have 5 genes tested with qPCR.

              Comment

              • dpryan
                Devon Ryan
                • Jul 2011
                • 3478

                #8
                Try to pick a couple that aren't called DE by all of them. That should help determine which of the models better fit your dataset.

                Comment

                • sindrle
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 266

                  #9
                  Thats a great tip!!
                  Thank you.

                  Comment

                  • sindrle
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 266

                    #10
                    Can you please guide me on using DEseq2 for this purpose?
                    I dont quite understand how to input:

                    Healthy at baseline, healthy at timepoint 2
                    &
                    Normals at baseline, normals at timepoint 2

                    Comment

                    • dpryan
                      Devon Ryan
                      • Jul 2011
                      • 3478

                      #11
                      Originally posted by sindrle View Post
                      Can you please guide me on using DEseq2 for this purpose?
                      I dont quite understand how to input:

                      Healthy at baseline, healthy at timepoint 2
                      &
                      Normals at baseline, normals at timepoint 2
                      There are two ways one could look at that, I'll just give you one. Suppose you had 8 samples evenly divided into timepoints and normal/healthy groups:

                      Code:
                      status <- factor(c(rep("healthy",4), rep("normal",4)), levels=("normal", "healthy")
                      timepoints <- factor(c(rep(c(1,2), 4)))
                      des <- formula(~timepoints+status)
                      You can then use "des" as the design for your experiment. Alternatively, swap a "*" for the "+" on the last line to include an interaction term, which you probably want.

                      Comment

                      • sindrle
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2013
                        • 266

                        #12
                        You are awsome!
                        Some day I hope Ill repay in some way

                        Comment

                        Latest Articles

                        Collapse

                        • SEQadmin2
                          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                          by SEQadmin2


                          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                          ...
                          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                        • SEQadmin2
                          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                          by SEQadmin2




                          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                        ad_right_rmr

                        Collapse

                        News

                        Collapse

                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                        0 responses
                        10 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                        0 responses
                        32 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                        0 responses
                        27 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                        1 response
                        48 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post pekgio
                        by pekgio
                         
                        Working...