No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems running GAGE

Hi!
    Here is my code, my input is from DESeq2 results.

deseq2.fc=timepointsResults$log2FoldChange;
    names(deseq2.fc)=rownames(timepointsResults);
    exp.fc=deseq2.fc;
    out.suffix="timepointsResultsDESeq2"
    require(gage);
    data(kegg.gs);
    dir.create("/Volumes/timemachine/HTseq_DEseq2/1_Results/GAGE_upregulated_timepointsResults");
    setwd("/Volumes/timemachine/HTseq_DEseq2/1_Results/GAGE_upregulated_timepointsResults");
    fc.kegg.p <- gage(exp.fc, gsets = kegg.gs, ref = NULL, samp = NULL, same.dir = TRUE) ;
    sel <- fc.kegg.p$greater[, "q.val"] > 0.1 & !is.na(fc.kegg.p$greater[, "q.val"]) ;
    path.ids <- rownames(fc.kegg.p$greater)[sel] ;
    path.ids2 <- substr(path.ids, 1, 8) ;
    require(pathview) ;
    pv.out.list <- sapply(path.ids2[1:3], function(pid) pathview(gene.data = exp.fc, pathway.id = pid, species = "hsa", out.suffix=out.suffix))

I just want to look for the top 3 upregulated pathways, but I only get an "404 not found" error.

Anyone understand this?

This is just wired..
    I updated from R 3.0.1 to newest and installed a new package "httr" for GAGE.

And it works.....

Now I just have to understand how a "significantly upregulated pathway" is calculated as significant...
    Last edited by sindrle; 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

It is always important to update R/Bioconductor to use the latest features of gage and pathview pacakges. In addition, if you installed the packages under current release versions of R(3.0.2)/ Bioconductor(2.13), you don’t really need to worry about any dependencies like httr.
      I guess you are using the joint workflow described in the vignette “RNA-Seq Data Pathway and Gene-set Analysis Workflows”. Notice that the native GAGE/Pathview workflow may give you more sensitive results. You may check the main vignette “Generally Applicable Gene-set/Pathway Analysis” for more details of gage package:
      GAGE is a published method for gene set (enrichment or GSEA) or pathway analysis. GAGE is generally applicable independent of microarray or RNA-Seq data attributes including sample sizes, experimental designs, assay platforms, and other types of heterogeneity, and consistently achieves superior performance over other frequently used methods. In gage package, we provide functions for basic GAGE analysis, result processing and presentation. We have also built pipeline routines for of multiple GAGE analyses in a batch, comparison between parallel analyses, and combined analysis of heterogeneous data from different sources/studies. In addition, we provide demo microarray data and commonly used gene set data based on KEGG pathways and GO terms. These funtions and data are also useful for gene set analysis using other methods.

To understand how GAGE tests for significant pathways, check the paper at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/10/161. HTH.

Comment

Thanks!
        Ill check it out.

Comment

"Notice that the native GAGE/Pathview workflow may give you more sensitive results"

How come?

Comment

The joint workflows are there for users’ convenience. You can do the differential expression analysis (at individual gene level) with well established tools like DESeq2/DESeq, edgeR, Limma and Cufflinks and input the results into GAGE/Pathview workflow for pathway analysis and visualization.

The reason the native GAGE/Pathview workflow is more sensitive is due to the special design of GAGE method. For two-state comparison, it does pair-wise comparison between experiments vs controls (disease vs normal etc), i.e. conducts gene set or pathway test between each sample pairs and then summarizes the results. The more samples (hence independent experiment-control sample pairs) you have, the more testing power you get this way. In the joint workflow, we can’t really decompose the two groups into experiment-control pairs, and we can only take the log2 fold changes from upstream analysis, which is a summary or average fold change without sample size or experiment design info. Therefore, gene set test on this is single column data is not as powerful as the GAGE default pair-wise comparison scheme. In addition, you can analyze and visualize pathway changes in every single experiment or sample (Figure 2 in vignette).
            To see the difference between the two types of workflows, you can try the native workflow out and compare the results to joint workflows. You may also read the GAGE paper for more details, at http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/10/161.
            Last edited by bigmw; 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Ah, well thanks alot! I will redo my analysis after I have read some more about it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses