Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pony2001mx
    Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 32

    #1

    ask perl script: break contigs into overlapping sequences

    Dear All,
    I am a perl beginner. I have a fasta file with many contigs sequences, and need to break these contigs into 2kb overlapping fragments (with overlap length of 100bp). Could anyone help to write a perl script for me, when you have spare time? I will greatly appreciate your help? THANKS!
  • zhidkov.ilia
    Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 25

    #2
    Sounds like question to PerlMonks forum, you can ask there how properly use 'substr' function for your tasks.

    Comment

    • sklages
      Senior Member
      • May 2008
      • 628

      #3
      You need to get an idea on a) how to parse multi fasta files b) how to split each individual sequence found in your file.

      a) http://lmgtfy.com/?q=perl+parse+fasta+file
      b) http://lmgtfy.com/?q=perl+split+large+genome+sequence

      It's a good exercise for a beginner ..

      Comment

      • pony2001mx
        Member
        • Aug 2013
        • 32

        #4
        Dear zhidkov.ilia and sklages,
        THANKS A LOT for your replys. I think again. I can use a simplified method, i.e., combine all contigs into one sequence (I can do this), then break/split the sequence into every 2kb fragments (I need a script for this). Would you or otheres please generate this script for me? GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELPS!!

        Comment

        • pony2001mx
          Member
          • Aug 2013
          • 32

          #5
          perl script:break contig into 2kb sequences

          Dear zhidkov.ilia and sklages,
          THANKS A LOT for your replys. I think again. I can use a simplified method, i.e., combine all contigs into one sequence (I can do this), then break/split the sequence into every 2kb fragments (I need a script for this). Would you or otheres please generate this script for me? GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELPS!!

          Comment

          • bruce01
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2011
            • 160

            #6
            I would use something like the for loop below:

            Code:
            for (my $i=0;$i<length($seq);$i+=1900){
                 my $j=$i+2000;
                 print OUT substr($seq,$i,$j);
            }
            But I don't think anyone is going to write your whole script for you!

            Comment

            • pony2001mx
              Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 32

              #7
              Thank you very much!

              Comment

              • krobison
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2007
                • 734

                #8
                Originally posted by bruce01 View Post
                I would use something like the for loop below:

                Code:
                for (my $i=0;$i<length($seq);$i+=1900){
                     my $j=$i+2000;
                     print OUT substr($seq,$i,$j);
                }
                But I don't think anyone is going to write your whole script for you!
                Sounds like a dare! It's really a trivial program & good template for writing other programs that transform sequence data. A good exercise is to use Getopt::Long to set the cutoff size and overlap size.

                Code:
                use strict;
                use Bio::SeqIO;
                my $cutSize=2000; my $overlapSize=100;
                my $writer=new Bio::SeqIO(-file=>">splits.fa");
                foreach my $arg(@ARGV)
                {
                   my $rdr=new Bio::SeqIO(-file=>$arg);
                   while (my $seqObj=$rdr->next_seq)
                   {
                      for (my $i=1; $i<$seqObj->length; $i+=$cutSize-$overlapSize)
                      {
                          my $endPoint=$i+$cutSize; 
                          $endPoint=$seqObj->length if ($endPoint>$seqObj->length);
                          my $subseq=$seqObj->subseq($i,$i+$cutSize);
                          $writer->write_seq(new Bio::Seq(-id=>$seqObj->id.".$endPoint",-seq=>$subseq));
                      }
                   }
                }
                Typo correction & debugging left as exercise for the student

                Comment

                • bruce01
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 160

                  #9
                  Originally posted by krobison View Post
                  Sounds like a dare!
                  Good on you krobison! Wasn't being mean, I would have given it a go but had a bit much in front of me. Debugging is the hardest bit when learning.

                  Comment

                  • sklages
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2008
                    • 628

                    #10
                    I do not have the impression that the OP wants to learn too much ..
                    So he/she could use google to find some ready-to-use solutions, in perl or whatever language, e.g. http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/CJFIE...p_split_seq.pl ..

                    I still think it would be a great exercise for learning perl (in "bioinformatics"). Though I usually try to avoid bioperl ;-)

                    Comment

                    • pony2001mx
                      Member
                      • Aug 2013
                      • 32

                      #11
                      Thank you all for your inputs. As a true beginner of perl (I am mostly involved in bench work), I will persits on learning perl. THANKS for your help!

                      Comment

                      Latest Articles

                      Collapse

                      • SEQadmin2
                        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                        by SEQadmin2


                        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                        ...
                        09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
                      • SEQadmin2
                        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                        by SEQadmin2




                        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                      ad_right_rmr

                      Collapse

                      News

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
                      0 responses
                      11 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                      0 responses
                      34 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                      0 responses
                      28 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                      1 response
                      48 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post pekgio
                      by pekgio
                       
                      Working...