Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • godzilla07
    Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 17

    #1

    Trinity will not install properly on Mac OS X

    I tried to compile trinity r2013_08_14 on Mac OS X 7.5 and I got the report below:
    Performing Unit Tests of Build

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    JellyFish: has been Installed Properly
    Inchworm: has been Installed Properly
    Chrysalis Installation appears to have FAILED
    QuantifyGraph Installation appears to have FAILED
    GraphFromFasta Installation appears to have FAILED
    ReadsToTranscripts Installation appears to have FAILED
    fastool: has been Installed Properly
    parafly: has been Installed Properly
    slclust: has been Installed Properly
    collectl: has been Installed Properly

    I have Xcode Version 4.6 (4H127)
    Do I need to update my Xcode or does the Makefile not properly install?
  • jimmybee
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 119

    #2
    Originally posted by godzilla07 View Post
    I tried to compile trinity r2013_08_14 on Mac OS X 7.5 and I got the report below:
    Performing Unit Tests of Build

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    JellyFish: has been Installed Properly
    Inchworm: has been Installed Properly
    Chrysalis Installation appears to have FAILED
    QuantifyGraph Installation appears to have FAILED
    GraphFromFasta Installation appears to have FAILED
    ReadsToTranscripts Installation appears to have FAILED
    fastool: has been Installed Properly
    parafly: has been Installed Properly
    slclust: has been Installed Properly
    collectl: has been Installed Properly

    I have Xcode Version 4.6 (4H127)
    Do I need to update my Xcode or does the Makefile not properly install?
    Are there dependencies for ReadsToTranscripts, GraphFromFasta, QuantifyGraph and Chrysalis Installation? That would suggest why some installed and those failed....

    Comment

    • Wallysb01
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 286

      #3
      I don't think you'll ever get Trinity to work on OSX, at least not without some major changes.

      I think you also need to set ulimit to be infinate, which to do on OSX requires recompiling the kernal to allow it, if I remember right....

      Comment

      • mcnelson.phd
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 162

        #4
        Originally posted by Wallysb01 View Post
        I don't think you'll ever get Trinity to work on OSX, at least not without some major changes.

        I think you also need to set ulimit to be infinate, which to do on OSX requires recompiling the kernal to allow it, if I remember right....
        We run Trinity on our MacPro without problems, although I'll admit that it hasn't been updated for a while so it's not the current version (we're still using version 2012-06-08 since we don't run trinity that often on our Mac).

        It is true that the stack limits can kill a Trinity run on OSX, but it won't prevent you from installing anything (or at least it didn't use to). When you do get it installed, you'll just need to run the following before running Trinity in order to increase the stack limit to the OSX limit, which in all of our uses has never caused any problems.

        Code:
        ulimit -s 65532
        I actually modified the main Trinity.pl script to check if that limit was increased and die if it hasn't been to prevent it from being an issue. Unfortunately because of how the restrictions for OSX work, a process cannot increase the user limits to be greater than the parent process, so everything inherits the maximum limit of the kernel which is 65532.

        Comment

        • Wallysb01
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 286

          #5
          Originally posted by mcnelson.phd View Post
          We run Trinity on our MacPro without problems, although I'll admit that it hasn't been updated for a while so it's not the current version (we're still using version 2012-06-08 since we don't run trinity that often on our Mac).
          Yeah, I remember getting Trinity to install but always having it error out with the stack limits. I had linux computers available to me though, so I never really bothered to fix that stack limit check. Anyway, nice work around, someone else might have to try to see if it will take on the new version.

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          9 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          32 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...