No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puzzle with gmapper -M mirna (shrimp)

Hi everyone,
    i am mapping short reads from ion torrent PGM. Reads are QV~20 and 16-155 length.
    In FastQC appears this as the highest represented read:
    TGAGGTAGTAGGTTGTGTGGTT 19528counts

Runing a quick blast it matches 100% bta-let-7b (bta my sp of interest):
    UserSe 1 ugagguaguagguugugugguu 22
    bta-let-7b 1 ugagguaguagguugugugguu 22

Of course I can't do this with all my reads, so i mapped them to all ncRNAs and mirna-stem-loops for bos taurus, using shrimp in mirna mode:

gmapper-ls myfile.fa P1_adapter.fa bta-ncRNAs.fa -M mirna >myfile.out 2>myfile.log

After counting the repeated elements in the RNAME coulumn of the SAM file, bta-let-7b appears nowhere and neither the corresponding miRNAs for the other highly counted reads.

I have tried this again using same parameters with only stem loops and then only mature mirna sequences.

In all trials the resuls were the same.

Hope you can come up with soemthing, i will keep trying other settings for gmapper and I will let you know how it went.

Thaks!
    Last edited by Sergio.pv; 11-21-2013, 05:57 AM.

I did the following, as a test:
    first, i use the above metioned sequences (identical as you can see)
    >bta-let-7b MIMAT0004331
    UGAGGUAGUAGGUUGUGUGGUU
    >dummy
    UGAGGUAGUAGGUUGUGUGGUU

gmapper-ls dummy-seq.fa dummy-let-7b.fa -N 12 -o 10 -h 80% >map.out 2>map.log

Output:
    HD VN:1.0 SO:unsorted
    @SQ SN:bta-let-7b LN:22
    @PG ID:gmapper VN:2.2.3 CL:gmapper-ls dummy-seq.fa dummy-let-7b.fa -N 12 -o 10 -h 80%
    dummy 0 bta-let-7b 1 250 22M * 0 0 NGAGGNAGNAGGNNGNGNGGNN *

Which is ok.

But if I change the dummy sequence (U -> T), into the original output of the sequencer (Us as Ts) i don't get results:
    @HD VN:1.0 SO:unsorted
    @SQ SN:bta-let-7b LN:22
    @PG ID:gmapper VN:2.2.3 CL:gmapper-ls dummy-seq.fa dummy-let-7b.fa -N 12 -o 10 -h 80%

It seems that the use of Ts is not computed. Is that correct?, is there an option to modifify that?

Best!

Comment

Ok, to make it work i converted U into T and it worked.
      if it is any use, with fastx tool kit:

fasta_nucleotide_changer -v -i bta-stem-loops.mirbase20.fa -o bta-stemloops.fa -d

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses