No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: blast2go local www-blast not working

Hello,

I posted this on BioStar and Blast2GO google group, so far nothing.

Problem:
    I followed the tutorial and setup local nr and nt databases and was able to get them working on the web interface, and was able to link them to my blast2go, and select the local server as a www-blast database.

A problem I am encounter however, is that no matter what I blast, i get no results returned. When I blast manually on the web server, I get a result, when I feed it to blast2go, and start the blast, everything gets no results returned.

This is somewhat odd. I even tried asking for my server for an Blast XML response, when I used the web server to search, and that worked just fine.

There is not much to go on, since there is no error anywhere... I was wondering if you had encountered this before? blast on NCBI right now works horrible for me, sometimes 5-10 minute per query... so I need to get the local one working asap.

My properties file for blast2go show: Blast.url=http://137.122.148.173/blast/blast.cgi Blast.urls=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/Blast.cgi,http://137.122.148.173/blast/blast.cgi Blast.blastdb=nt

Thank you for your time. Adrian

P.S. The URL is not accessible externally, only for people on intranet, but blast is run from a machine that has access to intranet. Hopefully that doesn't screw things up, there are no proxies setup.

Well, step #8 of the B2Go "www-blast tutorial" says:
    Add you [sic] database and the www-blast path to the B2G properties file (/home/your_user_name/blast2go/blast2go.properties) Blast.blastdbs=nr,swissprot,your_new_db Blast.urls=http://localhost/cgi-bin/blast/blast.cgi (seperated [sic] from others by a white space)
    Note the latter -- separate your urls by white space. Not by comma as given in your properties file. Failing that I would just take out the NCBI blast server entirely. Why bother keeping it if it is too slow for you?

Comment

I tried making the changes, leaving my URL as the only one in both lists, however there is no change in the blast2go behavior, still says no results returned.

Comment

Well, I probably can't help much more. First I don't use B2Go very much these days. Second when I was using it extensively I always did the blasting outside of B2Go (it can be quicker that way) and then imported the file into B2Go. This can be impractical before some people though.

What happens if, instead of changing the properties file, you from the GUI window go to 'Data Access Configuration'. Can you get it working from that angle?

Comment

Had the same problem with blast2go and managed to solve it removing link to ncbi (just had the local) and changing blastmode (or something, not on computer now) to www-blast. Then it worked. I can be more specific later when I see the blast2go property file

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
            Well, I probably can't help much more. First I don't use B2Go very much these days. Second when I was using it extensively I always did the blasting outside of B2Go (it can be quicker that way) and then imported the file into B2Go. This can be impractical before some people though.
            I'd say it's way more practical than having to setup a blast server
            savetherhino.org

Comment

As mentioned here, local blast outside blast2go is faster. Not shure why

Comment

Another thing, I managed to set up the local blast2go database, and the mapping and annotation is superfast. That is really time saving

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses