Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
    Viewers natively supporting BAM are all able to work with huge alignments. The following viewers are able to convert SAM/BAM to their native format. They also work with huge alignment:

gap5
    tablet
    Tablet can read SAM files at the moment, and the version due for release next week will work with BAM too, although it's just an experimental version that parses the file in the same way we handle all formats, so in the short-term you'd still need to read *all* the file. Not good for multi GB files. We will be implementing support for indexed BAM reading though - I think we can manage to make Tablet handle it (and save a ton of memory too) without losing the ability to read all the other formats too.
    Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

Originally posted by imilne View Post
      I'll also quickly add that for some reason known only to our IT department, all our servers will be powered down and offline for this weekend, so anyone trying to download Tablet between now and Monday is out of luck I'm afraid
      Yes, I can get to Tablet website hours ago, but can't now :-(

Tablet can read SAM files at the moment, and the version due for release next week will work with BAM too, although it's just an experimental version that parses the file in the same way we handle all formats, so in the short-term you'd still need to read *all* the file. Not good for multi GB files. We will be implementing support for indexed BAM reading though - I think we can manage to make Tablet handle it (and save a ton of memory too) without losing the ability to read all the other formats too.
      I like the feature to read SAM/BAM files. It is admitted that SAM is the standard format for sequence/read alignment/mapping, so all browsers/viewers for NGS data should support this format. BAM could be more efficient for large number of reads.

If you have time to add the annotation tracks to Tablet, I am sure that it would have more applications.

Anyhow, thanks for providing your tool!
      Xi Wang

Comment

@Xi Wang
        You can load to IGV an annotation file on your local computer. The efficiency over network is another issue. Suppose I am sitting in US and want to have a look a huge alignment sitting on a Chinese NFS file server. I can only launch IGV from the Chinese server and then the GUI is transferred over X11 to US. Frequently you will find the responsiveness of the interface is bad due to the limited network bandwidth. A terminal viewer like samtools is much faster. Nonetheless, I guess few people share my this concern.
        Yes, we also have this concern. Our group has such project to develop a local browser as well, but still on the way Moreover, the network in China is much poorer, so the local viewer is more needed.

By the way, here is the list of viewers with native support of BAM ("remote" means viewing alignment over HTTP/FTP):

artemis (with bamview plugin)
        bamview
        gambit
        gbrowse (web)
        igv (remote)
        lookseq (web)
        magicviewer
        samtools (remote, not supporting annotation)
        UCSC browser (web, remote)

Viewers natively supporting BAM are all able to work with huge alignments. The following viewers are able to convert SAM/BAM to their native format. They also work with huge alignment:

gap5
        tablet
        Great. I just had the idea this afternoon that to list/sort the most important features of these browsers/viewers. Such as supporting SAM. Another feature whether a browser/viewer needs network connection to get annotation tracks is also important.

I am not familiar with the rest, but some certainly have problem with displaying large alignment (e.g. eagleview).

In general, IGV is most matured and easy to use. Samtools may be friendly for some command-line guru, but certainly not useful to RNA-seq as it does not support annotations. You need to do a bit configuration to get lookseq and gbrowse working. But once you set it up, you can host your alignment from your web server and let others have a look. Gambit and magicviewer are under active development. UCSC browser provides another way to host your alignment at UCSC, but I have not tried.
        Thank you very much for the info. You are really appreciated.
        Xi Wang

Comment

UCSC v IGV

I've tried IGV, and I use it sometimes, but for me UCSC is still pretty compelling.

1) I like the way the figures it generates look
          2) You can see stuff better when you're zoomed way out
          3) Easy access to all those nice public data annotation tracks
          4) Galaxy/Table browser
          5) Non-bioinformatician friendly, easy to send a link that loads custom data
          6) I can shove a whole bunch of data in it and go trolling around without having any problems, but for me IGV gets kind of slow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

This is probably more of a personal preference kind of situation...

I've tried some of those other ones, IGB, gbrowse, GenomeGraphs, but found them lacking in some way or another.

Comment

FYI, I have updated the first post in the thread. I just list some browsers applicable for RNA-seq data viewing. Any suggestion is appreciated in case I lost something important. And also any comment is welcome.
            Xi Wang

Comment

Originally posted by Xi Wang View Post
              FYI, I have updated the first post in the thread. I just list some browsers applicable for RNA-seq data viewing. Any suggestion is appreciated in case I lost something important. And also any comment is welcome.
              Thanks a lot Xi Wang! If i can this week i will try to complete a bit if possible.

Comment

1) IGV and IGB are different browsers.
                2) GenomeView may be a candidate, but I have not tried.
                3) According to the BamView paper, it also works as a plugin for artemis. Artemis loads all kinds of annotation files.

Comment

1) IGV and IGB are different browsers.
                  2) GenomeView may be a candidate, but I have not tried.
                  3) According to the BamView paper, it also works as a plugin for artemis. Artemis loads all kinds of annotation files.
                  Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I have modified the list, and I will try the last two browsers when I have time.
                  Xi Wang

Comment

Originally posted by mgogol View Post
                    I've tried IGV, and I use it sometimes, but for me UCSC is still pretty compelling.

1) I like the way the figures it generates look
                    2) You can see stuff better when you're zoomed way out
                    3) Easy access to all those nice public data annotation tracks
                    4) Galaxy/Table browser
                    5) Non-bioinformatician friendly, easy to send a link that loads custom data
                    6) I can shove a whole bunch of data in it and go trolling around without having any problems, but for me IGV gets kind of slow. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

This is probably more of a personal preference kind of situation...

I've tried some of those other ones, IGB, gbrowse, GenomeGraphs, but found them lacking in some way or another.
                    Can someone/anyone please recommend a program (that works) to convert SAM formatted data to .bed files that can be viewed in UCSC?

Comment

Originally posted by thinkRNA View Post
                      Can someone/anyone please recommend a program (that works) to convert SAM formatted data to .bed files that can be viewed in UCSC?
                      If you search for "sam2bed" in this forum you get this. Hope it helps,
                      s.

Comment

Originally posted by thinkRNA View Post
                        UCSC supports BAM format now. So the most direct way is to convert SAM to BAM.
                        Xi Wang

Comment

Originally posted by Xi Wang View Post
                          UCSC supports BAM format now. So the most direct way is to convert SAM to BAM.
                          Xi Wang, Thanks for your suggestion. Whats a good program to convert SAM to BAM? I am using bowtie to get SAM formatted data. Thanks so much!

priyam

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
                            If you search for "sam2bed" in this forum you get this. Hope it helps,
                            s.
                            I tried it but doesn't work for me!

Comment

We align our mRNA-Seq to RefSeq then convert the alignments to bed format, using the UCSC RefSeqAli table as the source for genomic coordinates and splice boundaries. The bed files are saved as bigBed files on our webserver, and distributed back to the researchers as track lines with URLS to paste into the UCSC Browser. We adopted this method because of the rich annotation available in UCSC.

Comment

"using the UCSC RefSeqAli table as the source for genomic coordinates and splice boundaries." Can you please be more descriptive?

I align my RNA-Seq to mm9 and want to view my reads on UCSC. I am planning on using bigBed file on my webserver just as you describe. I am just lost why would you need the RefSeqAli table?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses