Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • neant
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 1

    #1

    Gene ontology clustering

    Hello, I am new to GO analysis and I am a little bit confused.

    I have some mass spec data. The output data is a list of gene names (UNIPROT) and a value for the control and experimental. I have normalized all data to the control for each protein in the study. After taking log2, I have a +/- list of expression data for all proteins in my study for the three experimental conditions.

    I want to see what genes show up in what major cellular/biochemical/disease categories and visual their enrichment level. So basically if say 10 different genes are known to be involved in a specific disease phenotype or biochemical pathway they would cluster together in a dendogram. From what I understand then, I need a GO clustering tool to see my data and a program that can generate clustered heat maps to visualize the expression level for each gene.

    The problem is that there are so many programs available and I don't really understand the differences. I have been told that DAVID is probably the best tool for clustering my data (and well-accepted in the literature). But then I have seen people use Cluster 3.0 - which does not seems to be the same kind of clustering that DAVID does - and then view in Java TreeView.

    Do I use the DAVID "functional annotation clustering" and then import into TreeView? This is what seems to make the most sense to me but I am not sure...

    You can probably tell I am really confused. Any help would be appreciated.

    EDIT: I am now aware that Cluster 3.0 apparently clusters hierarchically based on expression data not gene ontology so that explains my first bit of confusion. I found a nice Nature summary of expression clustering so I think I understand how it works now.

    As for GO clustering though, I would still like to know if using DAVID + TreeView is a good idea. And is there a way to show both expression clustering and GO clustering on the same heatmap? I can't visualize what this would look like but I don't think it would work.
    Last edited by neant; 12-12-2013, 12:31 PM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    Yesterday, 10:25 AM
  • SEQadmin2
    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
    by SEQadmin2




    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
29 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
46 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...