Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene ontology clustering

Hello, I am new to GO analysis and I am a little bit confused.

I have some mass spec data. The output data is a list of gene names (UNIPROT) and a value for the control and experimental. I have normalized all data to the control for each protein in the study. After taking log2, I have a +/- list of expression data for all proteins in my study for the three experimental conditions.

I want to see what genes show up in what major cellular/biochemical/disease categories and visual their enrichment level. So basically if say 10 different genes are known to be involved in a specific disease phenotype or biochemical pathway they would cluster together in a dendogram. From what I understand then, I need a GO clustering tool to see my data and a program that can generate clustered heat maps to visualize the expression level for each gene.

The problem is that there are so many programs available and I don't really understand the differences. I have been told that DAVID is probably the best tool for clustering my data (and well-accepted in the literature). But then I have seen people use Cluster 3.0 - which does not seems to be the same kind of clustering that DAVID does - and then view in Java TreeView.

Do I use the DAVID "functional annotation clustering" and then import into TreeView? This is what seems to make the most sense to me but I am not sure...

You can probably tell I am really confused. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I am now aware that Cluster 3.0 apparently clusters hierarchically based on expression data not gene ontology so that explains my first bit of confusion. I found a nice Nature summary of expression clustering so I think I understand how it works now.

As for GO clustering though, I would still like to know if using DAVID + TreeView is a good idea. And is there a way to show both expression clustering and GO clustering on the same heatmap? I can't visualize what this would look like but I don't think it would work.
    Last edited by neant; 12-12-2013, 12:31 PM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses