No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Picard "Alignment start should != 0 because reference name != *"

Hello,

Using Picard Validation, I obtain this message for some reads : Alignment start should != 0 because reference name != *
    If I grep the read in the SAM file, I can see that the read is mapped (there is the name of a reference scaffold in the third column) but the position (column 4) is 0.
    This is very strange, how can this happen ?
    Do you know how to fix this ?

Thanks,

Muriel

What's the flag on that read?

Comment

Hello,

After doing bwa aln and bwa sampe, I obtain a sam file and I use Picard ValidateSamFile.
      The errors are :
      ERROR: Record 38208, Read name HWI-ST1206:14:C296WACXX:6:1101:8672:9595, Mate negative strand flag does not match read negative strand flag of mate
      ERROR: Record 40751, Read name HWI-ST1206:14:C296WACXX:6:1101:8820:10033, Alignment start should != 0 because reference name != *.
      If I grep the read with the second problem, here is what I obtain :
      HWI-ST1206:14:C296WACXX:6:1101:8820:10033 113 gi|300388125|ref|NC_013991.2| 0 25 46M =176 215 GTACTTTTTTTTTTAGTATTTTAATTTTGTATTTATTATTTATATT >GCGAGGEIIIHHGHHIHE@HHC:CA<<AAGC>DFHFFDDDDD@@<RG:Z:Pa1370-Seq1 XT:A:U NM:i:0 SM:i:25 AM:i:25 X0:i:1 X1:i:1 XM:i:3 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 MD:Z:0 XA:Z:gi|300388125|ref|NC_013991.2|,-86195,4M1D42M,1;

HWI-ST1206:14:C296WACXX:6:1101:8820:10033 177 gi|300388125|ref|NC_013991.2| 176 37 85M =0 -215 GCAGCTAGGTCTAGAGGGAAGTTGTGAGCATTACGTTCATGCATTACTTCCATACCAAGGTTAGCACGGTTGATGATACCAGCCC @@@@@>@@>;;;AA=>BBBA<BBBBAA:BA=;B=9??ABBBBBBBBAA>BA<?*BABBB>C?AC7<CC@>A>72BC@@)=<A=== RG:Z:Pa1370-Seq1 XT:A:UNM:i:1 SM:i:37 AM:i:25 X0:i:1 X1:i:0 XM:i:1 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 MD:Z:78T6
      Any idea on how I can have a read map but no position given ???

Thanks !

Muriel

Comment

That would seem to be a bug.

Comment

OK thanks !
          Any idea on what I can do ?

Comment

Try emailing the list.

Comment

OK, i will, thanks for your help !
              Muriel

Comment

Hi Muriel,

I am facing the same problem. Did you find a solution for it?

Thanks and kind regards

Comment

Hello !
                  Well, what I did is a personal arrangement. I should probably write to the mailing list, I don't remember if I did or not ahah !!
                  The problem is that some read are supposedly mapped on the reference because there is a scaffold name in the column 3, but the starting position (column 4) of the read is 0 and this is the problem.
                  Here is what I did :

### List reads that have "Alignment start should != 0 because reference name != *"
                  samtools view -h input.bam | awk 'BEGIN {OFS="\t";} {if ($1=="^@") {print $0;} else {if ($4==0 && $3!="*") {$4=1; print $1>"read_file"} if ($8==0 && $7!="*") {$8=1;print $1>"read_file"} print $0;}}' | samtools view -bS - > input_OK.bam ; sort read_file | uniq > read_file_sorted

### Exclude problematic reads
                  #java -Xmx20g -jar FilterSamReads.jar INPUT=INPUT_OK.bam FILTER=excludeReadList READ_LIST_FILE=read_file_sorted OUTPUT=output.bam

Good luck !

Muriel

Comment

Hi Muriel,

THanks for your reply!!

Kind regards

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
                      by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
                      05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:03 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
                    0 responses