Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PFaucon
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 4

    #1

    Missing OIDs during blast db dump?

    Hi all,

    I'm new to using blast (and particularly the command line) so I had a few question/issues that I wasn't sure of the significance of.

    I'm trying to build a blast db which is a subset of nr with only human records. I downloaded a GI list from the Entrez protein database and then ran

    cat gi.txt | blastdbcmd -db nr_humans -entry_batch - -out human_sequences.txt

    While running I am receiving a large number of errors about missing OIDs (e.g. "Error: 567316212: OID not found" ), I've gotten about 500 so far and the database isn't quite finished processing.

    Is this something that is expected (since perhaps Entrez has more proteins than the nr database has) ? Or is this some sort of problem that I should be looking into more closely?


    Long background: I'm planning on running delta-blast against more than 5,000 sequences so I'm trying to set up a local blast system. I've downloaded and installed BLAST+, and the nr database. I've run a few blastp queries against nr and they took an excessive amount of time, additionally I wanted only homo sapiens results, so I created an alias following the instructions here. This results in a much faster query however I wanted to see if rebuilding the database would yield and even faster result, so I followed the instructions here (to some extent, I already had my GI's from the first run).
  • PFaucon
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 4

    #2
    Sorry I didn't explain that, nr_humans is an alias to the nr database created by applying the original gi list, I followed the instructions here:

    blastdb_aliastool -gilist gi.txt -db nr -out nr_humans -title nr_humans

    Essentially the output of the command should be everything that the alias sees (and would likely be the same as blastdbcmd -db nr_humans -out human_sequences.txt), but the OIDs are missing regardless of whether i use nr or nr_humans (which is expected)

    Comment

    • GenoMax
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 7142

      #3
      I missed the line in your explanation before I read your post again.

      Is the output file being populated irrespective of the database (or alias) being used? nr is so huge at this point in time that it may not be surprising to find errors in it.

      What exactly are you interested in from the human subset from nr?

      Comment

      • GenoMax
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 7142

        #4
        See this post and the "missing OID's": http://blastedbio.blogspot.com/2012/...cbi-blast.html

        Comment

        • PFaucon
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2013
          • 4

          #5
          Yes, the file is being populated in either case, and the number of misses seems minute compared to the number of hits, I haven't run both to look for differences but I don't expect to find any (as the alias is a restriction with the list that I'm using to dump anyways).

          At this point I'm interested in doing a homology search for yeast proteins against human proteins. I'm also only interested in humans so that is the reason for the restriction.

          Comment

          • GenoMax
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 7142

            #6
            A quicker way to do this would be to get the human protein sequence complement from a "BioMart" search (http://useast.ensembl.org/info/data/biomart.html) from Ensembl site. I see a total of 64,138 at this time.

            Comment

            • PFaucon
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2013
              • 4

              #7
              Hmm, so that link scared me initially but it appears that blastdbcmd is treating the gi's as gi's instead of OIDS (or perhaps they are the same thing in nr), I went through a few pages of the output and they are all [homo sapiens] (or sequences with multiple species at least include it).

              Aside from that possibility I'm not seeing that it is directly related to the problem at hand.

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
              0 responses
              12 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              34 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              28 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              48 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...