Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BAM quality how to convert illumina 1.5 to 1.9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAM quality how to convert illumina 1.5 to 1.9?

Welcoming 2014 the best way I know...

I've aligned a good deal of illumina data I have accumulated in order to call SNPs with GATK. I had over looked the fact that some of the older runs are with the illumina 1.5 (phred+64) quality encoding. GATK does not like this. I would like to convert the BAM files to 1.9/sanger/phred+33 quality. Can anyone recommend a tool that would do this? If I have to do it to fastq files so be it... I will happily take recommendations for that conversion although there seems to be more options available.

Thank you and happy new year.

p.s. if there is a way to inform GATK that specific files have different encoding I am all ears.

I think you could convert BAM to FastQ using Samtools and then use FASTQ Groomer to convert FastQsanger format on the Galaxy.

http://www.biostars.org/p/770/ and https://usegalaxy.org/u/dan/p/fastq

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Zapages,
      Looks like a do-able work around BUT i would like to avoid uploading data to galaxy if possible...

Comment

Given that you have multiple files and they're probably not terribly small, a C-based solution is likely preferred:

Code:
        #include "bam.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
            int i;
            uint8_t *qual;
            bam_header_t *header;
            char *oname, *p;
            bam1_t *read;
            bamFile f, of;

if(argc != 2 || strcmp(argv[1], "-h") == 0) {
                printf("Usage: %s file.bam\n", argv[0]);
                printf("Converts a BAM file with Phred scores encoded as QUAL+64 into the standard QUAL+33 format\n");
                return -1;
            }

//Open the input
            f = bam_open(argv[1], "rb");
            header = bam_header_read(f);
            read = bam_init1();

//Create the output file
            oname = strdup(argv[1]);
            oname = realloc(oname, sizeof(char) * (strlen(argv[1]) + strlen(".recalibrated ")));
            p = strrchr(oname, '.');
            *p = '\0';
            sprintf(oname, "%s.recalibrated.bam", oname);
            of = bam_open(oname, "wb");
            bgzf_mt(of, 4, 256); //Use 4 compression threads

//Write the header
            bam_header_write(of, header);

//Iterate over the reads
            while(bam_read1(f, read) > 1) {
                qual = bam1_qual(read);
                for(i=0; i<read->core.l_qseq; i++) *(qual+i) -= 31;
                bam_write1(of, read);
            }

bam_close(of);
            bam_close(f);
            bam_destroy1(read);
            free(oname);
            return 0;
        }
        This uses the samtools C API. If you download the samtools source code and compile it in "/home/your_user_name/Downloads/samtools", then compilation would be something of the form:

Code:
        gcc -Wall -o convert convert.c -lbam -lz -lpthread -I/home/your_user_name/Downloads/samtools -L/home/your_user_name/Downloads/samtools
        If you saved the above code as convert.c, at least. The you could just:

Code:
        convert somefile.bam
        Assuming the program is in your PATH, this will produce "somefile.recalibrated.bam".

Comment

Wow, awesome. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I will give it a try right away and let you know how it goes.

Comment

dpryan, I successfully compiled and ran your program. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the resulting bam files are no longer indexed and I think have also been stripped of the read group header info. Is it possible to use this and still retain that information?
            Thanks!

Comment

The indexing will be different every time, so I doubt there's a good way to maintain that. The read groups should actually be maintained, I'm surprised they've not been. Can you post the header and a couple example alignments from a file before/after conversion where the read group wasn't kept? I'm not sure why that would happen, but that'd give me something to use to find the cause.

Comment

In getting examples ready for you I realized I made an embarrassingly simple error. Your script works great. Thanks again! Happy new year.

Comment

Cool, glad it worked!

Comment

Working...
                  X