Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use t-test to analyze RNA-Seq if replicas is large?

Dear all,

I am new guy to RNA-Seq. I want to use a software (originally developed for microarray data) to analyze TCGA breast cancer RNA-seq data which is based on t-test. After read some materials, it seems that RNA-seq data is not appropriate to be analyzed by T-test. Is this right?

I also find that some people say that if replicas are large, t-test can still be used. Is this right? If this right, are some special processing required (such as normalization) required?

Thanks you all.

Using a T-test is generally not a great idea. If you have a large number of replicates give SAMseq a try.

Comment

Does this mean that all the methods (originally developed for Microarray) cannot be applied to RNA-Seq data?

Comment

Not directly, but see the voom() function that now comes with limma. Realistically, you could do T-tests after transformation with voom() (limma does something similar, but it allows for information sharing between genes, which isn't needed with large numbers of samples).

Comment

Hi ftian,

Consider using software that has been written with RNA-seq in mind. The tuxedo suite is a good option my my view but other solutions exist too.

Comment

Some other commonly used RNA-seq tools are cufflinks and DESeq2 (in R). Check out the
            Seqanswers RNA-seq Wiki

Comment

Thank all of you very much. I will look at those tools for RNA-Seq.

Comment

You can use a t-test because of the central limit theorem. The special tools for microarrays and RNA-seq were made for small sample analysis projects.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses